• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Chain link size

romoto

Hey everyone. I Have a quick question: Does anyone know what is the size of the chain link for a 2013
G 650 GS? I couldn’t find anything concrete anywhere. Some places listed it as 112 and some as 116.
Thanks!

Thank you! I was able to find the size on a website... 112 for my GS. It's crazy that such info is not listed on the manual that comes with the bike, considering its importance. They list the oil type but not the chain length?

Thank you! I was able to find the size on a website... 112 for my GS. It's crazy that such info is not listed on the manual that comes with the bike, considering its importance. They list the oil type but not the chain length?

I'll bet it is in the Repair Manual.

In the fledgling F-Twins index, there is a great reference on new chain installations. I shows the new master link product. It looks pretty good.
BTW, I always count the links at least twice...... Sometimes using a bread/tie to mark the starting point.
OM

Hey everyone. I Have a quick question: Does anyone know what is the size of the chain link for a 2013
G 650 GS? I couldn’t find anything concrete anywhere. Some places listed it as 112 and some as 116.
Thanks!

My scanned invoice from Sprocket Center for my incredible 2013 G650GS that has run a one tooth larger counter shaft sprocket (never made a difference with chain length had several notes on the invoice"

Box read 112 links
Chain was 116 links
Old Chain was 114 links
Took off two links (Motion Pro Chain Tool)
Needs 114 links

As a side note my 2013 G650GS is for sale with an incredible amount of extras (wheels seats windshields and new Sprocket Center chain and sprockets, fresh service, new tires).

https://www.bmwmcgr.com/default.asp...1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Need to sell so I can purchase fuel for my now incredible G310GS.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

put a dab of red rtv on the master link clip to hold it in place after degreasing the plate it captures and the clip. A little insurance and makes it easy to find a start/stop point for lubing

I use a mixture of atf and 90wt to brush on the chain after every other ride or so and wipe off the excess with a rag, takes 3 minutes and the chain stays clean and lubed, I have 35K on one the original cogs and on my 2nd chain. Chains a nd lube are cheaper than cog sets.

I think I have read somewhere over 50 horsepower a master link was to be avoided. :dunno
OM

Or maybe that 50hp is the crossover point where one should switch from a fish clip link to a riveted master link?

DeVern

Thought I said that?
That’s why I mentioned the F-Twins index. One of the members put together a nice chain replacement thread with a new type of “permanent” master link that doesn’t need a “spinner” Or a backer and ball-pein hammer.
Looked interesting.
OM

Thought I said that?
That’s why I mentioned the F-Twins index. One of the members put together a nice chain replacement thread with a new type of “permanent” master link that doesn’t need a “spinner” Or a backer and ball-pein hammer.
Looked interesting.
OM

I was referencing the difference between a master link with fish clip retainer, which I’ve seen first-hand getting shed at speed on liter+ bikes, and a riveted master like the ones shown in this video, which can be done in situ and which I’ve not seen fail. I took a look at the thread you referenced in the F-index, which looks pretty slick but I’m not seeing any peenover when the nuts are removed, so it looks like just a press fit? Or is there actually some peening taking place on the bolt? All my current bikes are shafties, but this summer’s focus on local riding has me considering an F-GS...

Thx,
DeVern

Last edited:
I had a clip come off on the first replacement chain for my 97 F650 (less than 5K miles) and now am over 20K miles on a the 2nd replacement with the rtv securing the clip.

I have had clips come off and chains thrown on three occasions - once on two different bikes within one day of each other. Once was on a trip between Browning and St. Mary in Montana on a 90 or so degree day. RTV helps, maybe, but didn't prevent losing the clip, and link, and chain on all three occasions.

When I noticed a clip missing, but the side plate still in place while touring in Botswana I used a paper clip as X shaped safety wire for the rest of the tour. Start with a wrap around one pin, cross over and do a wrap around the other pin and then join and twist the two wire ends in the center between the pins.

Which leads to my bottom line: I use only rivet type master links. If I had to use a clip type link I would substitute safety wire in an X crossed pattern rather than the supplied clip. The wire fits nicely in the grooves intended for the clip and if properly installed won't come off and does prevent any lateral movement of the side plate.

Back