• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F750GS - Cruise Control Issue?

shropdog

Anyone experience the cruise control not engaging every time when switching from off to on? Also, when on, not engaging at all? I have had intermittent experiences as such and wonder if I am working the system to quick? I have experience with BMW's cruise control systems on other model (RT, GS, R, KRS) so I feel I am not flicking through it too rapidly. Or...is a reflash or repair in order? Any thoughts? Dealer is 3 hours +, one way trip away so would like any input before making the trip. Thanks in advance!

Anyone experience the cruise control not engaging every time when switching from off to on? Also, when on, not engaging at all? I have had intermittent experiences as such and wonder if I am working the system to quick? I have experience with BMW's cruise control systems on other model (RT, GS, R, KRS) so I feel I am not flicking through it too rapidly. Or...is a reflash or repair in order? Any thoughts? Dealer is 3 hours +, one way trip away so would like any input before making the trip. Thanks in advance!

Don't know if it matters but on the K1200RS and my current R1200RS I always leave the switch in the on position.

Thanks Lee and sure can't hurt to try!

Well...that isn't it! Went for a ride, switched cc on and worked fine. Hit a bump cc knocked out, reset it and cc light went green, let hand off throttle, cc shuts off. Tried to switch off then on and no good. Thoughts? Thx!

Well...that isn't it! Went for a ride, switched cc on and worked fine. Hit a bump cc knocked out, reset it and cc light went green, let hand off throttle, cc shuts off. Tried to switch off then on and no good. Thoughts? Thx!

This does not sound like a problem with the on/off switch for CC, it sounds like bumps or road vibration triggering one of the microswitches and shutting off CC. There are multiple switches involved in the CC system—front brake, rear brake, clutch, and throttle- and any one of these can disengage the CC. On older bikes the microswitches at the hand levers could be seen and more importantly could be heard to click when the lever was squeezed or released. Likewise for the rear brake pedal, and throttle cable adjustment needed to be within parameters as well. Thing is, I don’t know if those switches are still present on the newer bikes with CanBus connecting everything and sharing info. It might be that the dealer’s diagnostic computer can tell where the CC “off” signal is coming from, or possibly a GS911 could pull codes from the bike and get a pointer to where the issue is originating. Otherwise, it’s down to checking for switch malfunction at each of the locations or systems I mentioned.

Best,
DeVern

I have the exact same problem on the same bike. Sometimes I can’t even turn on the CC. Other times its on but will not engage. Took it to dealer and they said the CC checked out all good. But then it started happening again. On my last ride I think I figured it out. The front brake lever wasn’t fully releasing and must have been in enough to activate the micro switch. Try pulling that lever out and see if it works.

Front Brake Lever....AH!

Great suggestion and I will give that a try too. I added brush guards and took at peek at those and the one on the left side was interfering with the CC on/off switch moving fully to the on position. I repositioned it and gave that a try...no luck! You got me thinking in I adjusted the thumb dial on both levers and wonder if the brake side is lightly engaged as you suggest? Will find out! Thanks again for the input!

Well...that wasn't it either. Made an appointment at the dealer...one month out though! Should be an easy to find problem as the CC will not even come on now. Thx for everyone's input though!

Keep us posted on how this turns out. I’m not sure that the front brake lever is my issue. It seemed to fix it last time I had an issue, but that's just ONE time. I can relate to how difficult it is to get service from a dealer. Mine is almost 3 hours away.

Great Suggestion!

I have the exact same problem on the same bike. Sometimes I can’t even turn on the CC. Other times its on but will not engage. Took it to dealer and they said the CC checked out all good. But then it started happening again. On my last ride I think I figured it out. The front brake lever wasn’t fully releasing and must have been in enough to activate the micro switch. Try pulling that lever out and see if it works.

I just posted a thread re my 2012 K1600 GTL have intermittent CC failures. I also have brush/hand guards (Hippo Hands) and will make sure they are not engaging my brake...GREAT suggestion!!!

On my way to GA rally, I started having the same problem on my 2019 850 gs with the CC. I was starting to think the problem was with water getting into one of the connections, with the heavy rain I was traveling in. I ran my GS 911 and no-fault code showed up for brakes or any other problems connecting to the CC with the bike. I am starting to think the bike has some gremlins.

Don't know if this is relevant but here goes:

The CC on my 2016 RT started being very intermitent after a minor accident. I turns out that the small sensor wheel on the front tire had gotten bent. Replaced it and all was well.

sensor.jpg.jpg

On my way to GA rally, I started having the same problem on my 2019 850 gs with the CC. I was starting to think the problem was with water getting into one of the connections, with the heavy rain I was traveling in. I ran my GS 911 and no-fault code showed up for brakes or any other problems connecting to the CC with the bike. I am starting to think the bike has some gremlins.

You may need to buy a Gremlin Bell and hook it on your bike to chase them away...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...roupid=1228154694983859&network=s&matchtype=e

Ski

Back