• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another multi fatality accident

A lot of people learned that lesson after the NH crash.

On this forum community, I agree with your comment. However, I wonder if the MC community "in-general" learned that same lesson?

Last edited:
The annual migration of lemmings to Sturgis will begin soon. We get a fair number passing through our area and a steady stream on I-90 thru Butte to our south. We shall see if any lessons have been learned. Anyone want bet?

The annual migration of lemmings to Sturgis will begin soon. We get a fair number passing through our area and a steady stream on I-90 thru Butte to our south. We shall see if any lessons have been learned. Anyone want bet?

The pay isn't great, but a good traffic study would certainly answer the question. 6A to 6P on the three days prior and after the event, should do it. Wanna be our man?

Ah, the Great American Wobblefest through Spearfish Canyon will once again be held. It is painful to watch.

Dude, do the sanctimonious BMW rider shtick much?

Dude, do the sanctimonious BMW rider shtick much?

You can think what you wish. The last time I was near Sturgis during bike week we rode through Spearfish Canyon, north to south, initially behind a group of ten or so cruiser riders, doo rags flapping. I sincerely felt sorry for the two or three at the back valiantly trying to keep up to the modest pace set by the leaders. I didn't want to be there when there was a crash so we pulled over to have some coffee from the thermos and let the group get far ahead of us. When the ambulances went past us, siren screaming we waited a little while longer and proceeded. It was not far until we came upon the scene of the two or three crashed bikes. You can call it sanctimony if you wish. I call it reality. Up close and personal observed reality.

Yeah, let’s git rid of all those Harley enthusiasts. With 50% of the motorcycle market gone, we can really keep motorcycling relevant in the eyes of the public. :hungover
OM

Yeah, let’s git rid of all those Harley enthusiasts. With 50% of the motorcycle market gone, we can really keep motorcycling relevant in the eyes of the public. :hungover
OM

Nobody said anything even remotely implying we should get rid of anyone and you may be the first to bring up HD. There was mention of changing behavior by setting a good example.

Nobody said anything even remotely implying we should get rid of anyone and you may be the first to bring up HD. There was mention of changing behavior by setting a good example.

:brow

I'm at "Ground Zero" they are here, my bike is parked until it is over.

Say what you want but they are lemmings and most ride side by side or way to close together.

The stop sign only applies to the first bike in the group.

They frequently cross the centerline and often hit opposing traffic.

When one goes down multiple riders go down, it is like bowling.

Sad situation.

I'm at "Ground Zero" they are here, my bike is parked until it is over.

Say what you want but they are lemmings and most ride side by side or way to close together.

The stop sign only applies to the first bike in the group.

They frequently cross the centerline and often hit opposing traffic.

When one goes down multiple riders go down, it is like bowling.

Sad situation.

Broad brush aside, try to stay safe with all those tourists coming to town :wave
OM

Nothing contradictory in those two statements, if that was the message you intended to send.

When a group of 40-50 bikes goes by on their way to or from Sturgis, there are many brands of bikes represented. HD accounts for the majority, but Indians and Japanese cruisers are also present in significant numbers. My comment (okay, mockery) was directed at behavior, not brand of ownership. If you ride in close formation, if the only item of protective gear you wear is chaps, if you wear a wife beater shirt, dew rag and flip-flops, run straight pipes..... etc, then I feel no remorse at directing a bit of mockery at you. And, I do it to the face of the riders I know that behave that way. And if those clowns were to be absent from the street it could not help but improving the image of motorcyclists.

It begins:

" A motorcyclist died Wednesday after crashing into a pickup on Iron Mountain Road in the southern Black Hills.

The crash on the scenic and curvy road occurred seven miles south of Keystone at 1:04 p.m., according to a news release from the Highway Patrol.

A 58-year-old man was driving his Harley Davidson westbound when he failed to negotiate a right-hand curve. He entered the other lane and collided with an eastbound pickup.

The man, who was wearing a helmet, died at the scene.

Both occupants of the pickup — a woman who was driving and a man —were wearing seat belts and received no injuries.

The Highway Patrol continues to investigate the crash. "

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/motorcyclist-dies-after-crashing-into-pickup-on-iron-mountain-road/article_dc8280e0-c041-51a5-8336-976ab1c378f0.html#utm_source=rapidcityjournal.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fnews-alert&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=1a3149d26e1b566f8125a38740712f400de6a369

Nothing contradictory in those two statements, if that was the message you intended to send.

When a group of 40-50 bikes goes by on their way to or from Sturgis, there are many brands of bikes represented. HD accounts for the majority, but Indians and Japanese cruisers are also present in significant numbers. My comment (okay, mockery) was directed at behavior, not brand of ownership. If you ride in close formation, if the only item of protective gear you wear is chaps, if you wear a wife beater shirt, dew rag and flip-flops, run straight pipes..... etc, then I feel no remorse at directing a bit of mockery at you. And, I do it to the face of the riders I know that behave that way. And if those clowns were to be absent from the street it could not help but improving the image of motorcyclists.

:huh

It begins:

" A motorcyclist died Wednesday after crashing into a pickup on Iron Mountain Road in the southern Black Hills.

The crash on the scenic and curvy road occurred seven miles south of Keystone at 1:04 p.m., according to a news release from the Highway Patrol.

A 58-year-old man was driving his Harley Davidson westbound when he failed to negotiate a right-hand curve. He entered the other lane and collided with an eastbound pickup.

The man, who was wearing a helmet, died at the scene.

Both occupants of the pickup — a woman who was driving and a man —were wearing seat belts and received no injuries.

The Highway Patrol continues to investigate the crash. "

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/motorcyclist-dies-after-crashing-into-pickup-on-iron-mountain-road/article_dc8280e0-c041-51a5-8336-976ab1c378f0.html#utm_source=rapidcityjournal.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fnews-alert&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=1a3149d26e1b566f8125a38740712f400de6a369

I would expect more incidents of all kinds. It happens as attendance numbers increase no matter if it’s a motorcycle gathering, a sporting event or “other” type of rally/gathering.
Get past it the best you can. Pretty soon it will be over and things will calm down for you.
Stay safe.
OM

Back