• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1978 R80/7 sputters

georgej

So my R80/7 sputters when I first open the throttle after she's warmed up. The bike idles fine, runs fine when I open the throttle. This only happens with the throttle maybe open a quarter of the way when starting from a dead stop. I took the bowls off no dirt or debris in them. Where else should I look. she's been running fine. No points on this one,Dyna electronic ignition already installed when I got the bike.

It sounds like something amiss with the needle jet as you are transitioning off the idle jet. It might be dirty causing a lean condition or it might be worn causing a rich condition. Remove it, clean it, and see what changes.

It sounds like something amiss with the needle jet as you are transitioning off the idle jet. It might be dirty causing a lean condition or it might be worn causing a rich condition. Remove it, clean it, and see what changes.

+1 - sounds like carb transition.

Don’t know how many miles on Blake. But “top hats” “needle thrusters” are made of brass any they ware out which describes the symptoms you have questions about.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.I cleaned the pilot,main and needle jets. The problem persisted. I checked the plugs and they were good. I took the tank off to have a look and one of the plug wires was off the coil.Put it back on,she runs as smooth as she ever did.

Well that update kinda shoots a hole in the theory that not having the plugs grounded when cranking the starter will destroy the ignition system.
Nick
1978 R 80

Destroying the ignition system

For a 78 R80/7, unless the points have been replaced with an after market system, you can pull a plug and do all sorts of things with no problem.

DO NOT crank a 1981 BMW without having the plugs connected and grounded! You may get lucky one or two times but for sure, you run the risk of popping the ignition module under the gas tank.

This is not a theory but fact. St.

Well, it was sputtering so it wasn't like it was fully open all the time. Maybe that's the saving grace. :dunno

So what ignition?

OkAY, I see the bike is a 78 R080/7. Does it have a stock electronic ignition or an after market system?

1981 was the year I believe the electronic factory system was introduced. At least as far as I can tell by a quick scan of Snowbum's information.

I am only warning about the stock system, but I would bet the aftermarket systems don't like to fire a ungrounded spark or what ever.

I don't know the number of times an electronic system can be abused before it goes kaput. Once, twice, thrice? St.

Back