• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ideas, Opinions, Wild Assed Guesses Solicited - K1200 Idle

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
My 1200 has a rhythmic, pulsing idle which seems to indicate that it has a rich mixture at idle. I also get some complaints from other riders behind me on the road are getting a faint whiff of unburned fuel which indicates its running rich in the mid-range as well.

1. I want to fix it
2. Could it be a faulty temp sensor (oil or coolant) telling the ECU the bike hasn't warmed up? I also occasionally get a high idle situation (1600rpm) after coming off the highway. Are these connected?
3. New air filters. Clean throttle bodies.

Thanks in advance!

Is it important to know the model year? It won't help me, but some of the other experts out there might want to know. :wave I can also change the title for future reference.

Year and model are important. S and GT models have differences in the airbox, and some of the early wedge-k bikes had to have the airbox replaced due to sticky valves in the box causing high idle or sticking throttle. Here’s one earlier thread on the topic:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?16121-K1200GT-Problems

You mentioned filters, as in plural, so I’m assuming this is an S bike? Might have the dealer do a check and see if this bike has ever had the airbox looked at or replaced.

Best,
DeVern

Sorry guys. its a 2005 K1200S.

Yes, that would be a model/vintage susceptible to the airbox issue. BMW released an updated airbox and air control valve to address the sticking caused by heat warping and tolerance issues. Rough idle and sticky high idle or roll off were characteristic signs. I would think a dealer could look up your VIN and find out if the airbox and valve were ever replaced under warranty. I don’t know that there was ever any kind of recall or service campaign on them. There’s a thread here that you may find informative.

If it were just the lumpy idle and fluffy running a temp sensor could still be a suspect, but on the brick-k bikes if those went bad the bike would run for a time then flood out and shut completely down. Your description doesn’t indicate that, plus the high idle/sticky roll-off is characteristic of the airbox/valve problem.

Good luck, and please update the thread when you resolve the issue.

DeVern

Back