• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Its alive!!!

69zeff65

I had to jump (with my fingers) the starter relay but after a few checks and some fiddling the Rat Ride fired up and settled into a nice idle. It helps that this bike has been in Airhead hands most of its adult life. It had a fresh oil change and carbs were drained before is long sleep, I also checked to make sure the exhaust nuts were properly serviced. I was able to pop them loose with a little tug with the wrench. I think I'll take it for a quick ride up and down my street, its close to home in case I have to push. It is a non matching numbers bike, the frame & title is 1970 serial number and the engine block is a later one. Does anyone keep a list of orphan 1970 and later engines and frames?

Attachments

• Rat Ride 1.JPG
    Rat Ride 1.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 256
  • Tupperware 3.JPG
    Tupperware 3.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 260
  • Rat ride 3.JPG
    Rat ride 3.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 261
I maintain a list of orphan pre 1970 engines/frames, but I've not heard of an orphan list for the Airheads.

It might be the slice and dice table for this one!

A part of me is sad and another part is a little relieved at this point. There is still a chance that this early Airhead has a heart (engine block) that goes with the frame so I can get carried away and obsess about correctness and what is OEM and correct, I have all the parts to do it. I will give it a little more time & thought and some attention in finding the matching numbers but after that elapses I am going to town on something I have had some nightmares and trepidation about doing. I think rusty, crusty with a little Mad Max is really overdue.

BMW Airhead circles almost never talk numbers (unlike, say, Porsche Speedster owners).

Looking forward to your reports (and photos) as you go along....

Don't obsess about number matching. There is a lot of satisfaction to be had by just havong a nice running, do all, bike.

I might add that you have a long road to travel if you want to bring this bike back to correctly original. Exhaust, gas tank, headlight, handlebars, turn signals, and the list goes on.
But I doubt that anyone will fault you for whatever you do as long as you have a runner and don't part it out.

Congratulations on your find. Yes, its not easy bring back to life but when you do, all the hours spent will be worth it.

I bought a 1973 BMW R75/5 two years ago from a chap who had it stored in his garage up against the wall and totally covered with vasoline to keep the rust down. Trailered it home and started the process. First I wanted to do a ground up restoration and once I started cleaning, came to the conclusion to do a mechanical restoration. The only thing i didn't tear down was the transmission, but everything else came apart and replaced when and where necessary.

When I started it the first time after two turns and it settled down to a nice idle with the choke on, the joy of seeing her become alive.

I would up load some before and after photos, but never been successful!

I have a habit of going overboard

I tend to get obsessed with correctness, one off stuff and rare trinkets after I rescue one. For example the Barn Bike, when I found it and some of the progress I've made. It took a year for me to decide what color and that was three years ago. Lots of trinkets for that one. I do have a more modest plan for the R 75/5 though and I hope its a little less expensive and labor intensive than the other pre-'70 bikes I've pulled back from the brink. It will be a mix of patina, chop & shave, performance, old school and touch of steampunk.

Attachments

• IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 141
  • going together 3.JPG
    going together 3.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 145
  • pinstripe1.JPG
    pinstripe1.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 143
I would up load some before and after photos, but never been successful!

Image management is tough. I had my I T guy come in a couple of times to walk me through it, and then we prepared a click by click checklist which I keep on my desk. He also set up a right click function on my mouse for re-sizing images from my own computer database. Over the years I have at least learned how to find them in my database. My other IT expert, who is a graphics design grad from Ryerson, says that that is the toughest part.

Sorry for the diversion zeff, and nice work. You're a brave man to do that striping.

I will update on the Vintage Forum

As I make progress on the "Barn Bike" I'll post pictures and commentary on the Vintage forum so stay tuned. Back to the AirHead forum, I hope to get going on the "Rat Ride" very soon and I'm hoping to come up with a different and simple Airhead Custom with stuff not yet enjoyed. I have to say it is tempting to go original all the way with this survivor, I have the spares somewhere out in my shop if can just find them without all those distractions toward correctness. A Fed Ex box just arrived with the things I need to steer my project.

Thank You

Bruce

Attachments

• Rat ride 2.JPG
    Rat ride 2.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 80
These restoration threads are absolutely some of the best on the MOA forum. Many thanks to all of you talented restorers who take the time to share your craftsmanship with the rest of us! :bow

IMG_1106_2.jpg
Stock ^ except the suspension, Siebenrock kit, and a few other modifications. Still put around 5,000 miles a year on it.

sddfcv 180.jpg
99.9% original stock ^ Had less than 5,000 miles when purchased 10 years ago.
Obsession? What's that!

Last edited:
Back