• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Atgatt?

EUGENE

In the July 2020 BMW ON on page 71 is an add for Motorrad Fest. My question where is the ATGATT? :nono
Any comments from the staff?

In the July 2020 BMW ON on page 71 is an add for Motorrad Fest. My question where is the ATGATT? :nono

Based on the look of the motorcycle in the photo, I think this is someone who finally saw the light, wants to join the world of BMW riding in Lebanon on 9/25, and is going to dismount, march into the entry booth and pay his fee. Once there, he'll learn he'd "rather sweat than bleed." Also looks like the guy is riding on the dark side with that rear tire, FWIW.:)

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 5.17.28 PM.png

You want to attract younger riders? Then you must welcome a broader definition of what a "BMW" rider is. Hipsters, non-binary, etc. are all part of the mix.

It seems suggesting wearing a mask may save your life invites skepticism........ Thinking mentioning that someone is not dressed properly to ride their bikes, I’m past that.
If someone asks why I’m dressed the way I am, I don’t mind explaining.
OM

It seems suggesting wearing a mask may save your life invites skepticism........ Thinking mentioning that someone is not dressed properly to ride their bikes, I’m past that.
If someone asks why I’m dressed the way I am, I don’t mind explaining.
OM

Yes, I have also noticed that even mentioning gear to someone dressed as in that picture seems to turn them off and end the conversation pretty quickly. Much better to mention some other aspect of the sport/hobby/lifestyle/etc. and thus keep the conversation going. They might bring up the subject of gear and then I happily explain why I ride with ATGATT. They probably think I am a wimp/sissy/coward, but they also undoubtedly notice that I am much older than they are and have all my vital parts and appendages still intact. At least that is what I hope is happening inside their head.

You want to attract younger riders? Then you must welcome a broader definition of what a "BMW" rider is. Hipsters, non-binary, etc. are all part of the mix.

EXACTLY! Until the old people in the MOA (2/3rd of the membership) get this, we will continue to decline in membership numbers. Welcome all riders...most of the ATGATT crowd didn't start out that way. I know I didn't!

Welcome all riders...most of the ATGATT crowd didn't start out that way. I know I didn't!

Does a denim "jean jacket" count? That's what I wore on my first "international" tour: Grand Forks, ND to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and back, two up on a Yamaha RD250. :) :usa

EXACTLY! ... most of the ATGATT crowd didn't start out that way. I know I didn't!

You were overdressed, Paul! My first years of two-wheeling, i was usually in a long sleeve t-shirt and jeans and sneakers. Hardly ever saw a rider wearing anything more back then.

You were overdressed, Paul! My first years of two-wheeling, i was usually in a long sleeve t-shirt and jeans and sneakers. Hardly ever saw a rider wearing anything more back then.

But, but, but we were in North Dakota and Canada, not the Kansas coastline.

Based on the look of the motorcycle in the photo, I think this is someone who finally saw the light, wants to join the world of BMW riding in Lebanon on 9/25, and is going to dismount, march into the entry booth and pay his fee. Once there, he'll learn he'd "rather sweat than bleed." Also looks like the guy is riding on the dark side with that rear tire, FWIW.:)

View attachment 79692

Good eye. Looks like a Coker bias-ply tire for classic/antique cars.

Does a denim "jean jacket" count? That's what I wore on my first "international" tour: Grand Forks, ND to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and back, two up on a Yamaha RD250. :) :usa

Sure does. Mine had a BMW back patch and many rally/state park patches sewn all over. Still have it too. Seems to have gotten smaller hanging in the closet?

Does a denim "jean jacket" count? That's what I wore on my first "international" tour:

You were over dressed :)
We toured for several years in wind breakers :)

1980, top of Mt Evans Colorado.
1980 Colorado_0012.jpg

1981 California
1981  California_0023.jpg

ATGATT?
In my early years in warm weather it was often cut offs and a pair of sneakers. I was rocking a nice tan those days!

For the record, and to clear up obvious confusion about man/woman and sitting/standing this is the photo being referred to if Eugene was indeed referencing page 71, not the one shown above.

Personally, I don't care who wears what. Neither should the staff. I think most of us have worn similar attire, if not less. At least a helmet and goggles are being worn. I once passed a BMW rider on I-25 in Denver riding with shorts and tennis shoes. Guess what. I didn't care.

Now that we can reference the correct page and photo, maybe someone wants to comment on the tattoos, surely they bother someone. :nyah

i-wRk35HV.png

Yes I still have my too small "jean jacket" too. Maybe as we get older we get smarter??? Yamaha 350R5C , one year earlier than the RDs was my ride.

For the record, and to clear up obvious confusion about man/woman and sitting/standing this is the photo being referred to if Eugene was indeed referencing page 71, not the one shown above.

Personally, I don't care who wears what. Neither should the staff. I think most of us have worn similar attire, if not less. At least a helmet and goggles are being worn. I once passed a BMW rider on I-25 in Denver riding with shorts and tennis shoes. Guess what. I didn't care.

Now that we can reference the correct page and photo, maybe someone wants to comment on the tattoos, surely they bother someone. :nyah

i-wRk35HV.png

She's wearing a helmet and googles. In PA, I would call that a success for training.

The tat's? It's going to be interesting to see them in 30 or 40-yrs. I predict green and saggy, but that's her issue.

My riding gear was a windbreaker during the day, then switch to my down jacket when it got cold in the evening. If I had ever gone down, the flurry of feathers would have looked like someone hit a duck.

I have a feathers story but nobody went down. I was riding from the Iowa Rally back to Kansas City with the late Al Glickley. He was riding his R100GS. We were south of Des Moines, about 40 or so miles north of the Missouri state line on I-35 when smoke started coming off the back of his motorcycle. I quickly passed him and pointed to the "parking" area just ahead. We pulled in there. His duffel bag which had been bungied on his seat had bounced and slipped backwards and was resting on the high muffler on that model. The bag was smoking. He quickly got the bag off the bike and opened the end. The down sleeping bag inside the duffel bag was smouldering with some flames too. He started to pull the sleeping bag out of the bag but it was hot so he grabbed his Leatherman multi-tool. I grabbed the closed end of the duffel bag and he pulled the smouldering, smoking sleeping bag out. Immediately smouldering feathers, and some not yet on fire began blowing everywhere. The folks in the two or three cars also in the parking area were both aghast and amused at two grown men wrestling with a burning sleeping bag. And that is my down feathers story. We were ATGATT. The sleeping bag wasn't. One for the books we laughed about many times.

Back