• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

84 R100RT seat replacement - what's new is old

arcx

I've been away from the old airheads since I let my 85 RS go in 1987 making things new to me again when I picked up a 84 R100RT recently.

The RT has what looks to be a custom seat - no idea who made it. It has been modified to create something of a solo back for the rider and additional padding for a passenger. It would be great if the backing was about 4-5 inches further back. As it is, it pushes me forward enough that my knees are trapped behind the faring upper making it difficult to get my feet down – which as you might guess feels precarious at low speeds. So, I’m looking to either get the seat re-worked or a new seat close to the original configuration that will work with the stock cowl.

IMG_0802 (2).jpg

The problem that I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly - isn't the seat and rear cowl are a single unit? Sidestepping the trick of getting the seat/cowl off the hinges, how is the seat removed from the cowl?

Thanks for any info you can offer!!

Russell

Last edited:
No idea how to resize an image so you can see what I'm talking about, but hopefully you get the idea.

It would be good to see what you're working with. Are you running a Windows operating system? If so, right click on the Windows icon in the lower left. Click on Search, and search for the Paint app. Open that, open up the image you want to resize. Then click on the Resize link in the ribbon at the top. Choose Pixels and then put in 1000 horizontal and 1000 vertical. When done, click Save As to another location on your computer. Finally, use the forum features to upload that resized image.

HTH...chime in if you need some help.

RT Seat

Hello, the seat and the painted cowling are two separate parts.

I see Kurt has given you instructions as to how to resize your image to let us see better what you have.

I am going to gamble with your having the stock cowling (the painted part) and an aftermarket seat. The cowling is bolted to the seat and is fairly easy to remove. The chrome grab rail in your picture could be a stock unit from an R90S. That bolts to the cowling. Or, it could be a custom rail, I can't tell by your current picture.

The good news if you want a stock style seat, they are being made and available at a couple of different vendors. one is Boxer 2 valve. https://www.boxer2valve.com. also http://www.siebenrock.com It is not hard to find stock seats anymore or even stock seat pans if you want to have a seat shop make you a custom seat.

Corbin still makes a replacement seat but I won't touch them as their customer service is in my experience terrible to non existent.

Cheers. St.

Hello, the seat and the painted cowling are two separate parts.

Thanks for the links Steven!

Having never removed the seat and cowl, I just couldn't remember how they were put together, but it stands to reason they are separate pieces. I also came across a company https://texavina.com/ that does custom seats, mostly for cafe builds, but they have a 27.5" seat listed. So maybe that's an original replacement. I've sent them an email to learn more.

Speaking of the cafe build thing - I'm wondering if I could find a seat from either someone doing such a build or from someone replacing their stock seat for Corbin or other brand.

And I think your right about the rack/guard on the rear cowl. That chrome is not original. Both the '82 red smoke and 85 grey smoke RSs I owned had racks, but they were finished black.

And thanks again!

Russell

Your rear rack is the chromed version of the standard "6-pack" rack, and is an OEM BMW accessory part, along with the various mounting bits and pieces. The seat cowling does bolt to the seat pan, rather than to the rear sub-frame, as your previous monoshock's did. The twin-shock airhead seats and cowlings are different from (and not compatible with) the ones on your monoshock.

Back