• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'99 R1100RT - Fuel Pump Inop

kf4by

Ol' Hoot
I have a strange problem with my RT. It was running fine last fall after a low speed drop in a parking lot. My son rode it home with no issues but hadn't ridden it since due to his bad experience. This spring I put the battery tender on to bring the battery up to full charge and left it on while I was away for a couple of weeks. Now when I try to start it, the fuel pump will not operate when the side stand is up but the engine will turn over. Except for the Engine Temp and Fuel Level, all indicators are normal. The temp and fuel gauges have every other bar lite as soon as the kick stand comes up when the fuel pump should operate. I disconnected the battery thinking perhaps a voltage spike occurred due to an electrical storm when I was gone and the ECU needed to be reset. No change in the problem. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
DSCN2767.JPG

Thanks in advance!
Stan

I'm quite surprised nobody has answered you yet. It's a pretty simple problem to diagnose.

Start with your fuses and then follow your grounds from the battery and make sure all is good there.

After that, you will need to pull the tupperware. If you have to that far, there are more resources at hand.

Thank you!

I'm quite surprised nobody has answered you yet. It's a pretty simple problem to diagnose.

Start with your fuses and then follow your grounds from the battery and make sure all is good there.

After that, you will need to pull the tupperware. If you have to that far, there are more resources at hand.

I will pull the tupperware and chase all power and grounds associated with the fuel system. Perhaps that low speed drop disturbed something that just now raised it's ugly head. I thought the gauges might be a significant clue.

Cheers!

Yes, that temp gauge is a clue that something electrical is indeed amiss. Maybe that drop damaged something :scratch
Do you actually have about half a tank of gas?
Does the gear indication function if you shift gears?

Thanks, Paul

To your questions.... The fuel level is much less than half so the half scale on the fuel gauge probably doesn't mean anything. I can shift to 1st and the Neutral light goes out and the display indicates "1". When I shift to 2nd the Neutral light comes on and goes back off and the display indicates "2" but the transmission "falls back" to neutral, but of course nothing is turning.

I have not had time to pull the rest of the tupperware and do a detail inspection, hope to get to that this week. I need to chase the fuel pump fuse, wiring and ground. BTW, the fuel pump is less than a year old and has been working flawlessly since replaced up to this point.

Thanks again, Paul.

Stan

Progress

The fuel pump is now operating as it should and the bike starts with no problems. I cleaned (De-Ox-Id) and reseated the relays in the relay/fuse box. In so doing I found the Motronic Relay to be partially unseated and the Fuel Pump Relay was mostly unseated. So obviously that resolved the pump inop problem.

However, I still have a display problem. I'm pretty sure the segments on both the temp and fuel gauges should light up consecutively and not skip every other segment as in my original photo. The engine temp seems to be responding as the engine temp increases. I haven't added fuel to check the operation of the fuel gauge. The next step is to clean and reseat the connectors associated with the instrument panel. My fear is that the loose Motronic/pump relays may have spiked the ECU and damaged something in that unit.

More to follow......

Thanks again, Gents!

Stan

Your display in the photo looks normal as far as how the bars look. There is a gap between them to make it easy to see the level (five bars is normal for temp, for instance).

So one less worry!

Thank you, jsoufh

I really hate getting old..... I hadn't ridden the bike for so long I simply couldn't remember the display detail. My son had been riding it. Thanks for filling the void in my head. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll ride it this weekend and see if all is well.

Thanks to all!

Stan

If it makes you feel any better, I had to go confirm that detail in the garage last night. And I rode Saturday AND Sunday..... I became Social Security eligible last year so I'll blame it on age as well. :)

Back