• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
There is a link in the thread below that will demonstrate how one can keep soft loops, or the open steel hooks, secure.
OM

Well...... chances are at lottery odds for a bike to enter the passenger area as the wheel is up against the interior front of the pickup bed negating any “ramming” action of the bike.
Passenger vans, for the most part, do not have a “service wall” between the front seating area as required for commercial vans.
Fairly important to have an anchored front wheel chock in a van.
I find it a good idea to leave the bike in first gear.
I find it a good idea to lash the front wheel to the secured front wheel chock.
I find it a good idea to use tie-downs on the rear especially if the floor surface is smooth.
I find it a good idea to close the “open” end of the tie-downs with a wrap of electrical tape to prevent a jump off of the hook under the “recoil” of an unexpected dip in the road.

One of the best threads on tie-downs and bike hauling is here-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?88430-U-Haul-motorycle-trailer

OM

I have seen straps come unhooked when some suspension travel was left, after driving over a rough section of road. Not where the soft straps are used on the bike but where they're hooked to the trailer or pickup.

This is another reason why straps should be used to immobilize the motorcycle’s wheels, and not rely on mashing its suspension into rigidity with tie-downs from the handlebars or anywhere else above the fork sliders. Immobilize the wheels, and the rest of the bike will necessarily follow.

This is another reason why straps should be used to immobilize the motorcycle’s wheels, and not rely on mashing its suspension into rigidity with tie-downs from the handlebars or anywhere else above the fork sliders. Immobilize the wheels, and the rest of the bike will necessarily follow.

Not sure “mashing suspension into rigidity” is a good idea. Never done more than let the suspensions movement help keeping the tie-downs taught.
When I used to transport my dirt-bike in the van, I just used 2 pieces of chain with S hooks. Roll the bike in, tilt to hook up the first side, tilt the other way and hook up the other side. The bikes suspension and allowed movement did all the work.
OM

Back