• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for info on '04 K1200RS/GT Throttle System Operation

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded. As I said earlier, I purchased this bike about 2 1/2 years ago specifically to make a project of it. The bike was in very nice condition and only had a little over 15K miles on it. I only rode it for about 300 miles before tearing it down to begin the "project". During that 300 miles I noticed the problem I described with what I perceived as a lack of full-throttle power as compared to my previous 1999 K1200RS. I just kind of ignored it as being all in my head and proceeded with the project. After completing the project and riding the bike for a couple thousand miles I finally decided maybe the problem wasn't just in my head after all and that's when I decided to look into it, but wanted to get a little more educated before making any changes. That's when I posted the inquiry here and I'm very glad I did. I've received some good advice and information. What really helped was the information from Jean about the 86 degrees of throttle rotation. I checked mine and determined that I was getting about 35 degrees of rotation. So, I pulled the left side fairing panel and inspected the clamps on the rubber throttle body connectors as Jean suggested and sure enough, the clamp screw on the #3 TB connector was interfering with the adjustment screw on the TB shaft. Loosened and rotated the clamp about 1/8" and all is good now.

Thanks again for all the help

Ted

Glad you got this fixed.
Next time, just describe your problems / symptoms better in 1st post... you could have fixed this in 1 day instead having to do so much reading on the EFI and throttle-bodies systems ;-)

Of course, I am just kidding, but your 1st post was just too vague for me to have a clue. A bit later, when you finally described the twistgrip rotation limitation (compare to another good working k1200), then it was much easier for me to give the "most probable cause".

In last 17 years, I have seen variation of this bad clamps installation many times on 3 separate forums for K1200RS-LT (and one in my own garage on a friend K1200). In one cases, I had a forum member show me a picture of his throttle-bodies from top (with air-box removed). His question was something like: "is it normal that the butterflies do not open fully vertically on the k1200RS ?" Of course it was not OK, because one clamp was jamming one of the 2 cables pulley.

I consider this as gross negligence to install fairing whithout checking all possible mechanical interference - from throttle cables to anything related that was touched or removed. This a major safety item as you create a "potential" where the throttle will not fully return close on models having only 1 throttle-cable (on these, only the TB spring can force the closing). On the 2 cables models (with cruise), you would probably override the clamp restriction / interference with hand power.

Glad you got this fixed.
Next time, just describe your problems / symptoms better in 1st post... you could have fixed this in 1 day instead having to do so much reading on the EFI and throttle-bodies systems ;-)

Of course, I am just kidding, but your 1st post was just too vague for me to have a clue. A bit later, when you finally described the twistgrip rotation limitation (compare to another good working k1200), then it was much easier for me to give the "most probable cause".

In last 17 years, I have seen variation of this bad clamps installation many times on 3 separate forums for K1200RS-LT (and one in my own garage on a friend K1200). In one cases, I had a forum member show me a picture of his throttle-bodies from top (with air-box removed). His question was something like: "is it normal that the butterflies do not open fully vertically on the k1200RS ?" Of course it was not OK, because one clamp was jamming one of the 2 cables pulley.

I consider this as gross negligence to install fairing whithout checking all possible mechanical interference - from throttle cables to anything related that was touched or removed. This a major safety item as you create a "potential" where the throttle will not fully return close on models having only 1 throttle-cable (on these, only the TB spring can force the closing). On the 2 cables models (with cruise), you would probably override the clamp restriction / interference with hand power.

This was educational for me as I'd not been aware of the potential for this problem. However, I can attest that through repeated testing I know the throttle plates my K1200RS do, in fact, open all the way. :brow

Glad you got this fixed.

Ya, you're right Jean, but I'm glad that this thread went the way it did because I really wanted to learn more about those other components (throttle valve potentiometer and actuator), and the documentation you provided really helped.

I took the bike out for a little ride today (about 180 miles) and it's amazing how much better it performs at WOT when the butterfly's open all the way :laugh

Thanks again

Ted

Ya, you're right Jean, but I'm glad that this thread went the way it did because I really wanted to learn more about those other components (throttle valve potentiometer and actuator), and the documentation you provided really helped.

I took the bike out for a little ride today (about 180 miles) and it's amazing how much better it performs at WOT when the butterfly's open all the way :laugh

Thanks again

Ted

I call the effect you described as "Grin Factor." :D

Thanks again

Ted

Glad these 2 documents helped you gather some understanding of your K1200RS.

There is a lot more research / tests I have done on the K1200RS-LT Motronic EFI that I have NOT published here... Various tidbits posted over last 10 years on the now defunt I-BMW forum were lost when they shut it down a few years ago. Of course,I have notes, photos and documents here on my own computer. These 2 PDF documents you saw earlier were done to organize various tidbits of info related to TPS and TVA (idle actuator).

The quest began a few years after I bought my K1200RS. I cannot recall exact year, but around 2007 someone from Norway posted a request on the I-BMW forum about a problem he had - unfortunatly he had messed up the TPS position and a few other adjustments screws in trying to fix his issue.

About at the same time, by some coincidende, I had just received my GS911 so it was a good time to gather various EFI sensors data including TPS on a "known good running K1200RS". Even the older generation of YELLOW GS911 like mine can log sensors data in real-time to a file (in addition to reading fault codes).

During last 40 years, I had fixed many fuelling issues on carburator motorcycles, but in 2007 I finally "bit the bullet" and began a quest to read books and study various forums about EFI systems (both on cars and motorcycles). In additon to my "serious" hobby about motorcycle maintenance, I have a background as a computer programmer so this was a "normal" progression / evolution.

Last edited:
Jean,

I'm sure that all of your research and testing has helped many of us K12 owners. I'm certainly not aware of any other sources available to acquire this information. I, for one, appreciate all your effort.

Ted

Back