• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New to sidecars

panzer

Greetings,

Are there any articles or advice for an experienced BMW rider that is considering a first sidecar rig?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
The most recommended book I know of is the “Yellow Book” by David Hough.

Driving A Sidecar Outfit
A Step by Step manual on learning to drive a motorcycle/sidecar combination These skills will also translate to Trike drivers too! A must have for any 3rd Wheel rider/driver
This manual was created and published by volunteers from the USCA Sidecar Safety Program about driving a motorcycle/sidecar combination. When it was originally published, this manual was intended to serve as a complete do-it-yourself training guide, in the absence of a three-wheeler training course.
Written by David L. Hough, under the direction of Ed Johnson, with production assistance by Hal Kendall, Ph.D.

https://www.dmcsidecars.com/yellow-book/

It’s been talked about many times here on the forum. Personally, it seems like you drive them more than “riding” them.
Good luck.
Gary

Howdy and welcome. Depending on where you live there may be courses available that you can take to get a good introduction to riding a sidecar. Washington State and Virginia are known for their training courses. I’m sure there others.

Greetings,

Are there any articles or advice for an experienced BMW rider that is considering a first sidecar rig?

Thanks!

If you’ve never driven one I’d highly suggest going to a Ural dealer and taking one for a test drive. You may not like the brand or the lack of power, but Urals are properly setup from the factory and the experience will tell you what a dialed in hack feels like. Every other sidecar rig on the road is a custom or semi-custom job.

Pete

There is a learning curve. Some of us take to it like a duck stuck on dry land and others don't. Take it slow, ask for help. Best to buy a cheap one, discover whether you like it or not then move up. If you like the ride, then expect to seriously invest. :)

Back