Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inserting images

Larry -

Can you point me to the picture in question that you are trying to post here? I'd like to try it myself so I can get a deeper feel for the issue.

I will say that sometimes an image on another site has controls on it such that it can't be "hot-linked" somewhere else. At least that's something I've encountered in the past. Notwithstanding the issue as you see it being related to something with Photobucket, there could be other things changing out there on the web.

I don't think any of use "average" people can solve this if there's a real problem with either the MOA software or elsewhere. The MOA has access to a great internet program via contract. I'm sure Ted Moyer has been checking in on this thread from time to time. I will make sure he's brought up to date and maybe he can bring in a "ringer" to see what's going on.

But I would still like to go through this myself, so info on the picture would be appreciated.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Larry -

I was able to recreate the situation you describe. I tried half a dozen different images I found on the web and they all had essentially the same error. On one of them, I did uncheck the "Retrieve" box and the image was then posted/shown in my test post. I don't know precisely what that check box does or is intended to do.

Alternatively, if I right click and save the image to my local machine in a test area, I can then upload the image from my local machine as usual. In that sense, the image would no longer disappear from the MOA servers if I delete the image on my computer. Clearly that is extra steps that can be onerous over time.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I'm glad that you have seen and understand the problem. As you have seen, the error occurs on most files. The picture that reminded me of the problem was from Amazon, but it will affect any of our users that keep their images on Flickr, SmugMug, Photobucket or any other hosting service.

Yes, there are some sites that do not allow copying an image. They block the right-click menu, or the file format is not the generic .jpg, .bmp, etc. It's just a bit frustrating that a feature that did work, and is supposed to work, now fails. If we are contracted for the service, I'd expect that our payments include some troubleshooting, or that we have someone who can correct its configuration. My totally uneducated guess is that the software is trying to write the image file to a location that no longer exists or for which the program does not have write permission.

I did a little Googling, but did not find much related to this specific problem. One reference, on the vBulletin help forum, suggested that the error is caused by an "Image Processing Library" called by vBulletin. Again, enough knowledge to be dangerous, as I don't know the consequences of changing that setting, or how to configure the "library" , but maybe it is another avenue to investigate.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    It has always been my understanding that if an image was to or intended to remain on the MOA forum, it had to be moved to the MOA server.
    This was especially important when DIYs were created or being created. This kept the continuity on the MOA forum.

Here is an excerpt from the instructions/suggestions when creating a DIY-

OK - We may want to insert an image in the thread about now (perhaps illustrating the tools or supplies)- so we look down at the bottom of the Advanced Editor page - under:

"Additional Options" - and you'll see "Attach Files" - click on this button.
    Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif gpx jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
    And a button that says "Manage Attachments"

Click on "Manage Attachments."

A popup window opens - and you're given two choices: (1) finding a file on your computer, or (2) uploading one from a URL (such as PhotoBucket or some other website.)

We do this so the image will be hosted on the MOA server, and not dependent on an outside service (which may disappear - making the DIY useless if the photos are linked instead of uploaded to our servers.)

There are restrictions on the image size, depending on format, so before creating the DIY, you may want to make sure your images conform.

The attached image will always appear below whatever text you enter in the message, and you're restricted to one image per message. Please plan accordingly.
    While I can usually make an image appear, Im still not sure what is going on re- the above process.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200