Thread: Inserting images

Inserting images

error.jpg

I keep getting this error when inserting a linked image whenever I use the checkbox to "Retrieve remote file and reference locally." I think others have had the same problem as it was mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, though I cannot find that thread right now.

This is an important option so that posts here maintain their meaning if the source site goes down or deletes an image.

Can someone look into and fix this problem?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Larry -

Are you using smugmug? That previous thread was in the Forum Help area:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...cs-not-loading

I think Ted walked through the process and things seem to be OK from the MOA standpoint...nothing has changed on this end.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Larry -

Are you using smugmug? That previous thread was in the Forum Help area:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...cs-not-loading

I think Ted walked through the process and things seem to be OK from the MOA standpoint...nothing has changed on this end.
    No, this was an image from another site (https://i.redd.it/v6nb84rer5d21.jpg). The image appears just fine if the default "Retrieve..." box is unchecked. I get the same error trying to link images from a half dozen random sites unless the box is unchecked.

It really looks like to me as a problem on the MOA end. Who else would be writing a temporary file, and how would the MOA forum software know about it? I'm thinking the forum software is trying to write to an inaccessible location, or a drive is full (unlikely).

Ted's solution is more of a workaround than a fix, as it does put the image in a post, but the image remains vulnerable to deletion at the source site since there is no copy on the MOA end. I hate to see posts with broken links.

Sorry I did not find the original thread - feel free to move this to Forum Software.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    All linked in images are at risk of actual host deletion. To bring it to the MOA, you would need to save the image to your photo file and then attach it in the conventional method. Seeing a MOA now hosted image will have attached images noted on it.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Larry -

OK, I understand a little better. But when you think about it, people are putting links to articles, links to YouTube videos, etc...none of those actually load the content to the MOA servers, so there's the danger of loosing that in the future.

I agree with Omega Man, and do basically what he said...I do a screen capture, save the image to a "trash" folder on my computer, then directly upload from that folder. I can delete the image on my machine later on.

Maybe Ted will see this and see if there's something we can do, but it sounds like the MOA has no play in this.

At your suggestion, I'll move this thread to the Forum Help area...probably won't combine with the other thread, but keep it separate as it is coming at this from a slightly different direction.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Larry -

OK, I understand a little better. But when you think about it, people are putting links to articles, links to YouTube videos, etc...none of those actually load the content to the MOA servers, so there's the danger of loosing that in the future.
    Isn't the whole point of the "Retrieve remote file for local reference" checkbox to put a copy of the image on the MOA servers, so that we are not relying a hosted link that may become invalid in the future?

If not, what purpose does it serve?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Isn't the whole point of the "Retrieve remote file for local reference" checkbox to put a copy of the image on the MOA servers, so that we are not relying a hosted link that may become invalid in the future?

If not, what purpose does it serve?
    Maybe think of the MOA server like your computer. You can go look at something many times on the web. If you really like the content, you can save it to the computer.
    If every “shared” picture automatically downloaded to the MOA server, it would entail a lot more storage (and probably some monitoring).
    In the VB code, the code is wrapped around the target image and that wrap is the instructions to retrieve the image and display it.
    Your “retrieve remote file for local reference” is doing just that. Otherwise it would have a command to “and automatically upload to server”.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Maybe think of the MOA server like your computer. You can go look at something many times on the web. If you really like the content, you can save it to the computer.
    If every “shared” picture automatically downloaded to the MOA server, it would entail a lot more storage (and probably some monitoring).
    In the VB code, the code is wrapped around the target image and that wrap is the instructions to retrieve the image and display it.
    Your “retrieve remote file for local reference” is doing just that. Otherwise it would have a command to “and automatically upload to server”.
    OM
    I understand what is happening, but I think you have the function of the "Retrieve.." box reversed.

"Retrieve..." means go get the picture now and store it so we can access it on our server (locally). With the box checked, the picture on the remote site is copied to the MOA server and added to the post as an attachment.

With the box UN-checked, the remote URL is retained in the post (between [IMG] tags), and the forum software accesses the remote site to find the picture every time the post is displayed. There would be no need to retain the original URL in the post if the picture file were on the MOA server.

vBulletin makes "Retrieve" the default choice to prevent broken links.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    error.jpg

I keep getting this error when inserting a linked image whenever I use the checkbox to "Retrieve remote file and reference locally." I think others have had the same problem as it was mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, though I cannot find that thread right now.

This is an important option so that posts here maintain their meaning if the source site goes down or deletes an image.

Can someone look into and fix this problem?
    I guess this is far as I can advise on this. BTW, I have never seen your attached “error message”
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    BTW, I have never seen your attached “error message”
    OM
    Now what....?
    Anyone else NOT seeing the error?

The picture was a screen snip of the error, snipped and saved to my desktop, then uploaded "From computer". It shows in the edit window as Attachment 79630. Looks OK here and on another computer, so it's not showing a cached copy. The only way I can get it to NOT appear is to log out, and then it just shows "error.jpg."

The text in the message is:

forums.bmwmoa.org says
    error: Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.

Let me try referencing the attachment again:
    error.jpg

and also linking to my Flickr account with IMG tags:
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I have the issue and message when using the Postimage service.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I'm not that versed on the photo sharing sites...I do have a flickr account but rarely use it. I've seen other sharing sites mentioned but don't see any mention of flickr so far. I checked my account to see what I could do with a picture. I can find the Share icon but what it asks me to do is choose either share (to social media and such), embed, and BBCode all which result in the generation of a URL for copy-n-pasting. The fourth option is to email the image which does as one expects, sends an email to the person with an image embeded in it. No where in those sharing options does it let me upload an image directly to say the MOA servers...I can only deal with the URL.

There is a download function which then lets me download the image to my local computer. Clearly, then with the image local, I have the ability to upload to the MOA servers so it remains there should I happen to delete the image from my shared site. In my case, I still have the original image on my computer, so I don't have to go through the download process. Others may use the cloud for storage to keep their computers cleaner and to act as a backup.

Is this the basic functionality of the other sharing sites? Seems that is the nature of "sharing" sites...you share the link to the pictures. In order to not share, you have to get possession of your own image and then you are free to use it to physically upload.

Funny, I was posting about the same problem not long ago. I've been using SmugMug for about 14 years and it has been excellent and I have about 15 000 pics up there. It's a pay site but worth it to me. It was created by the same guy who created ADVrider.com.

Once it was pointed out to me to uncheck the remote file box when uploading here all my photo posting has worked just fine. No issues with my photo account. I post a lot of photos on different forums and here is the only place with any issues at all.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

I think we need to be clearer on what we mean when "inserting images". To my way of thinking, there are two ways for an image to show here on the forum. You post a link which points back to some other site on the internet or you actually upload the image from your computer to the MOA server. In the first case, should the online account or URL location change, the image disappears from the forum. In the second case, that can't happen unless there is a failure of the MOA server.

skibum, you are still just putting a link into the forum pointing back to your online account...not actually uploading the image...at least on your most recent posts. Going further back, I do see that you actually uploaded an image to the MOA server. I understand that maybe that process has changed, either by smugmug or by MOA which is still a little unclear. It would take quite a bit of research to figure out what is different about your posting links to photos on other forums with no problems but yet you have to do things differently here. Probably it would need someone who can get behind the forum software and deal with the actual HTML coding.