• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2005 K1200S - Valve train noise at startup

I bought my 2005 K1200S about three years ago and it has been making this startup valve train noise ever since then. It only happens at startup and only if I haven't started the bike in a week. The noise sounds like "loose metallic parts rattling around". The noise only lasts for about one second and then disappears. When I bought the bike it had about 18K miles and it now has about 21K miles and it has been serviced regularly at the local BMW dealer. The noise has never gotten any worse in the three years I've owned it. Dealer states that the noise is normal for these bikes and occurs until oil pressure builds up, which happens very quickly. The sound is NEVER heard one-two seconds after startup.

Any other owners notice this noise?

There is a newer-style hydraulic chain tensioner used on the K1300 bikes that does not bleed down as much as the older units. I believe that tensioner can be retrofitted to the K1200S bikes so that may be worth pursuing with your dealer. Ask them to look for an SI bulletin on the matter. Also, have you had the chain jump guard installed on your bike? There is a SI bulletin on that as well.

Best,
DeVern

There is a newer-style hydraulic chain tensioner used on the K1300 bikes that does not bleed down as much as the older units. I believe that tensioner can be retrofitted to the K1200S bikes so that may be worth pursuing with your dealer. Ask them to look for an SI bulletin on the matter.
Thanks for that info. My intention is to sell the bike or trade it in on a new S1000R. I'm getting too old to have eight bikes -- need to pare down.

Also, have you had the chain jump guard installed on your bike? There is a SI bulletin on that as well.

Best,
DeVern
I don't believe so. I think the dealer would have told me (and charged me :laugh) if they had.

Thanks!

I have a K1300GT that makes the cam chain noise if I don't ride for over a week (it has the jump guard). What I do now is bump the starter a few times before trying to start it. Let's the chain get a little tension on it and it doesn't make the noise.

I have a K1300GT that makes the cam chain noise if I don't ride for over a week (it has the jump guard). What I do now is bump the starter a few times before trying to start it. Let's the chain get a little tension on it and it doesn't make the noise.
Thanks. I'll definitely give that a try the very next time I start it. :thumb

Question for the gear-heads: Is a hydraulic cam-chain tensioner common?

Yes. BMW has used them for a long, long time and they are generally reliable and trouble-free other than a few specific models, and for those BMW has made available an updated version of the tensioner. The most common issue, when there is one, is for the tensioner to lose pressure when the bike is not started for a while. That can result in some noise, primarily chain slap, until the tensioner is repressurized. On the wedge-k bikes up through the K13GT, that loss of pressure could in some circumstances allow the cam chain to jump a tooth or two on its sprocket, sometimes with disastrous results. Hence the updated tensioner and plastic “cam chain jump guard” for those bikes.

And, I would be hesitant to assume the presence/absence of the guard on a wedge-k has been verified by the dealer unless that’s been explicitly stated. The check is simple; just remove the T-60 Torx plug on the lower RH side of the engine and look so see if the guard is present.

Best,
DeVern

A new o-ring on the cam chain tensioner piston should hold oil pressure for more than a few weeks of not running.
It worked for me.

Timing chain or cam chain?

Just for clarification . . . I've been reading up on cam chains and timing chains. Apparently the correct terminology: a "timing chain" is the chain(s) that drive the cams from the crankshaft. A "cam chain" is only between (dual?) cams. So, in this case, which are we talking about? Timing chain tensioner or cam chain tensioner? I assume its the timing chain.

Just for clarification . . . I've been reading up on cam chains and timing chains. Apparently the correct terminology: a "timing chain" is the chain(s) that drive the cams from the crankshaft. A "cam chain" is only between (dual?) cams. So, in this case, which are we talking about? Timing chain tensioner or cam chain tensioner? I assume its the timing chain.

I consider the terminology to be a difference without distinction, at least on a BMW motorcycle. The chains on BMW motorcycles drive one or more cam shafts from the crankshaft, and in no case that I am aware of do they just connect two or more cam shafts. If there is such a case I stand to be enlightened.

To compound the matter BMW calls the tensioner a "cylinder f chain tensioner" on Oilhead engines and a Timing chain on a K75 engine and a G310GS engine. I didn't bother to look up any other models.

Back