• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Az. to Colorado and beyond

brownie0486

Leaving 6am on the 23rd from Az., headed to the Denver area. Looks to be about 424 miles to Durango where I plan to make my first nights stop. Then on to my brothers near Denver which looks like 245 miles.

Any members in the Durango area have any recommendations on accommodations availability for motels/rooms?. Must see things the next morning before I ride off toward Denver?

Thanks in advance.

Curious...

What route are you taking to Durango?

87 to Payson, 260 to 277 to 377 to Holbrook, 40E to 491N to Indian service Rte5 to 371N to Farmington NM. 170N to 140N to 141E to Durango. Google Maps says 431 miles. About 10 hours on the bike, leave at 6am, arrive Durango sometime between 3-5PM.

Figured I'd get a room, have something to eat and check out the area till dark. Get a good nights sleep and push the last 245 miles or so into Breckenridge the second day. Stay at my brothers and we leave the next morning for Devils Tower in Wyoming.

Lots of places to stay in Durango, it's a tourist town. Every chain hotel/motel in the universe has a place there, lots of mom-n-pops too. I have stayed there several times, different place each time, all worked fine. Only place a tad different that I have stayed is the lodging inside Mesa Verde National Park. Great views, we woke up to mule deer nibbling bushes right outside our back door. We had a first cup of coffee and talked to them as they grazed the area. A nice restaurant where we ate a great supper the night before and a great breakfast that morning. The ride up/down from the mesa is nice, too.

Good luck and have a great ride. The route sounds wonderful.

87 to Payson, 260 to 277 to 377 to Holbrook, 40E to 491N to Indian service Rte5 to 371N to Farmington NM. 170N to 140N to 141E to Durango. Google Maps says 431 miles. About 10 hours on the bike, leave at 6am, arrive Durango sometime between 3-5PM.

Figured I'd get a room, have something to eat and check out the area till dark. Get a good nights sleep and push the last 245 miles or so into Breckenridge the second day. Stay at my brothers and we leave the next morning for Devils Tower in Wyoming.

I have done that route a few times. Be prepared for the heat and be sure to keep drinking water! There is a breakfast diner on the old Main St in Durango that is great if you like a big breakfast.

Several years ago I stayed at a motel at the north end of town on the east side of the street, 2-story place... sorry I forget the name, but no complaints.
Not impressed with the "Indian" (east, not American) restaurant a couple of blocks south of that.

Alternate Route from Holbrook to Durango.

brownie0486,

Hwy 491 up to Farmington is a quick and easy route.

If you have the time try Indian 12 up to Window Rock, then over the mountains on Indian 13 to Hwy 491.

Try this link: https://goo.gl/maps/XSgGn8AedF69mGZw6

About the same mile wise, but Will take longer time wise.

Have a good ride.

brownie0486,

Hwy 491 up to Farmington is a quick and easy route.

If you have the time try Indian 12 up to Window Rock, then over the mountains on Indian 13 to Hwy 491.

Try this link: https://goo.gl/maps/XSgGn8AedF69mGZw6

About the same mile wise, but Will take longer time wise.

Have a good ride.

Thanks for the link sir, I'll do that route on the way back home when I'm not pressed for time to arrive at my brothers and can stop and take in the views, grab some pics etc. Looks like a great ride,

Back