• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vote - tires - 1200R

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
Ok so think R1200R for road miles and safety in the rain.
Now hold the tech, hold the spin, and remember that everyone’s opinion counts,
but you need to pick: Mich Road 5, Mich Road 4, or Conti RA3? If you toss in another brand you are dq’ed.

On a R1200RS, which is quite similar, I was happy with a set PR4's and I'm currently 2500~3000 miles into a set PR5's. So far, I prefer the PR5 to the PR4's, they're more stable in turns.

My first set of tires on the bike were Metzlers. I wasn't impressed.

Good luck.

Having experienced the Michelins 2, 3 and 5 and the Continental Road Attack 3, I'll go with the Conti RA3. Thoroughly satisfying in corners, straight up and in wet or dry. Long-wearing, too.

I took the OEM Metzler tires off and replaced them with Michelin Power RS and absolutely love them, I've had the. PR4 and PR5 on my RT and do love them. Depends how sporty you want to get.

Hope i dont get burned for this but my Dad and myself have had great results out Shinko Raven 009. The offer great traction in regular weather as well as rain. They also have provided great mileage for the price. The only negative i have ever heard of them is that they take time to warm up which i dont notice. Im currently on my 3rd set of these. 2 Sets on my 2015 1200RT and had a set on a Yamaha MT09 i had before. My Dad has been running multiple sets on his 1150RT for well over 100k miles.

My vote goes to the Conti RA3s.

My PR4GTs were done in 4400 miles (I ride on VERY abrasive chip seal roads) but the rear was worn flat across the tread before 4,000 miles making my RT handle like a truck. So far the RA3 rear seems to be resisting squaring off better than the PR4GT did.

crows2

Just got my 2016 1200rt has pr4gt on them , but always ran them on my fjr. got between 8 or 9,000 mis. Did wear more on cross country trip due to concrete roads. I live in NH. and they handle excellent in dry and wet, on the old NE roads.

I'm sitting on the fence here. The Contis get good reviews and comments while the Road 5s also get good reviews...and reports of issues.
I've been running PR4GTs ever since I replaced the original Metz 08. No issues with the PR4GTs but looking over the fence.

My vote for for your R would go to the Contis RA3. The PR4, are still good but older technology. I would wait on the Road 5s.
Of course, all of this depends on what oil you use. :lol

I’m on my second set of pilot road 5s. Love them. Not the stiffer GTs. No problems. Love the dual compound. Give me more confidence in the twisties. So many good tires today. Likely all of them are more capable than riders like me will ever know

I'm sitting on the fence here. The Contis get good reviews and comments while the Road 5s also get good reviews...and reports of issues.
I've been running PR4GTs ever since I replaced the original Metz 08. No issues with the PR4GTs but looking over the fence.

My vote for for your R would go to the Contis RA3. The PR4, are still good but older technology. I would wait on the Road 5s.
Of course, all of this depends on what oil you use. :lol
What issues with Road 5s?

What issues with Road 5s?

I have heard rumors of separation between the soft and hard compounds with high-torque bikes that generate a lot of tire heat. Rumors only, and I don't ride that hard, so I don't think I personally would be worried... I have not done any research on the issue yet.

Ok so think R1200R for road miles and safety in the rain.
Now hold the tech, hold the spin, and remember that everyone’s opinion counts,
but you need to pick: Mich Road 5, Mich Road 4, or Conti RA3? If you toss in another brand you are dq’ed.

#1: Road5GTs
#2: RoadSmart 3
#3: PR4GTs

Back