• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When were side reflectors added to Slash-2s?

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
I am trying to find out when side reflectors were added to slash-2s imported into the United States. The archives in Munich does not know.

Can you gurus out there help me out?

As we know, bikes in the U.S. were titled in the 60s until the dealer sold them. Thus, for example, a bike made in 1967 could be dated 1969, all depending on the sale date.

Ideally, I would like to get an idea of when side reflectors were added by engine numbers for R60/2, R69S, and R50/2. Presumably it was somewhere around 1967-68, the dates are not all that clarifying.

reflector2.jpg
reflector.jpg

Take a look at your slash-2 (if you have one!). If it HAS side reflectors on the headlamp "ears" and rear fender below the hinge, please send me your engine number at jeff.dean@att.net. When and if I get a feel for this, I will publish the result here.

Last edited:
Might be of help

Jeff,
I asked on another forum where a BMW dealer from the /2 era hangs out and he gave this response. Which he said OK to post here!

"We didn't see them until 1969 as I remember. I do know that the first telescopic forks didn't have them. I highly doubt that they were added as part of a year change, but just started using them when they ran out of the old ones. Then a couple of months later Otto find a box of the old ones laying in a corner and they inserted them into the production line and made some real confusion for those of us that paid attention to changes.

One other factor. If you look at an early telescopic fork model, I think that you won't find a front brake light switch. BMW had to comply with California law and CA was the first to require the brake light to be actuated by the front brake."

If your interested in contacting him directly? PM me and I will give you his email address thru a PM. Nice guy and you may already know him? I value his era of expertise. Very knowledgeable and friendly guy!

00weel

Interesting. Conforms with what I learned:

Talked to Marty Cohen. He worked at a BMW dealer in the late 60s, uncrating new BMWs. His comments:

(1) The first time he saw side reflectors on BMWs was unpacking new bikes in
Feb. 1969. The bikes were covered with undisturbed cosmoline and arrived in
serious wooden crates that had not been opened, so the reflectors had to be
installed at the Munich factory. He said they were not there on new bikes
arriving in 1968. The line was shut down the spring of 1969 and production of
the /5s moved to Berlin.

By the way, the reflectors on the /2s and early /5s were Type B, or small.
They were illegal but BMW used them. BMW went to larger Type A
reflectors at some point in the /5 series. So if a /2 has reflectors,
they would be the small Type B variation.

(2) A brake light switch coupled to the front brake arrived at the same time.

(3) The new generator light on top of the nacelle came earlier, in 1968. The
U.S. began requiring high beam lights in 1966, necessitating the relocation of
the generator light. Somehow, BMW got away without one from 1966-68.
There are a lot more of these bikes than those with reflectors and front brake switches.

(4) Very few /2s came through with cadmium foot pegs. Early /5s came through
either with cadmium pegs or painted black pegs, and later went all cadmium.

Back