• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fiddling with Fidlock

cap

Former Member
I recently bought a new helmet that has (gasp!) D-ring closures. How primitive! Well, they are titanium at least. But I wanted something faster, and I am accustomed to a micro-ratchet closure. So, I found this Fidlock buckle on Amazon, and I gave it a try.

It works great. I thought it might be too hard to install, or not strong enough, or that it might be likely to slip off. But none of those concerns are warranted. An added benefit is that it is more comfortable than the D-rings when snugged. Another benefit is that my riding buddies have Fidlock-envy. Priceless.

Cap

Looks dangerous to me. I couldn’t trust a magnet to protect my head. Have you tested it with lots of force? This isn’t a personal attack, just not educated about the product.

Looks dangerous to me. I couldn’t trust a magnet to protect my head. Have you tested it with lots of force? This isn’t a personal attack, just not educated about the product.

The magnet pulls the latch closed. The latch is very strong, and can’t open accidentally. These are being used in a variety applications, including helmets. It is a very clever product.

My first helmet, Schubert, had a racheting method for locking the strap; later helmets were all D Rings. I found the ratcheting strap to be very uncomfortable and personally prefer the D Ring.

I expect that I am most likely in the minority

Last edited:
My Klim Krios helmet has a Fidlock.
Originally I was concerned about it coming open/remaining latched.
So far so good, only one testing dirt nap, I didn't hit my head, the helmet stayed on.
Sure is easy to use, Latchable/Unlatchable with gloves on once you learn how.
Very positive indication of closure/latching.

My first helmet, Schubert, had a racheting method for locking the strap; later helmets were a!l D Rings. I found the ratcheting strap to be very uncomfortable and personally prefer the D Ring.

I expect that I am most likely in the minority

I don't think you're in the minority. I wouldn't trust that fidlock in a crash [ not a get off but a crash ] to remain locked. More power to those with more faith I suppose

The Fidlock magnet only holds the latch closed, just as a lightweight spring does on other strap latches. The magnet never has to resist crash forces on the chin strap. Fidlock buckles are stock on some helmets which pass ECE standards.

The Fidlock magnet only holds the latch closed, just as a lightweight spring does on other strap latches. The magnet never has to resist crash forces on the chin strap. Fidlock buckles are stock on some helmets which pass ECE standards.

Too modern for some folks.

Can both of these be true at the same time?

I'd think no actual crash testing was performed. Drop test, lock strength tests, any of a number of mechanical testing likely, but actually crash testing the buckle? Highly unlikely.

Once enough people have actually crashed using this buckle and there's no evidence of failures, it may pass my smell test:thumb

Question for cap...did you have to remove the snap from the long end of the strap to fit the Fidlock device? Considering the price, I'd give it a try if I can return the strap to normal function if I don't like the Fidlock.

Question for cap...did you have to remove the snap from the long end of the strap to fit the Fidlock device? Considering the price, I'd give it a try if I can return the strap to normal function if I don't like the Fidlock.

Yes, you have a good eye. The snap will not pass the slots on the fidlock latch. I snipped the snap.

On the other side, I just left the D-rings on. Like you, I wanted to be able to reverse the changes if I didn’t like it. And I never use the snap anyway, so for me it was no big deal.

However, it took some careful manipulation to slip the notched end into the D-ring loop. That would be challenging to remove... but that is the whole point after all.

The new FIM helmet standard--required for MotoGP, World Superbike, etc. riders--mandates D-rings.

I believe for a racing helmet that might be crashed at high speeds the D-rings are absolutely the way to go. I would want D-rings on any helmet I raced in. But the micro-ratchet designs are just too darn convenient for the street, such that not having a micro-ratchet is a deal-breaker for me for a street helmet.

Back