• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

need ignition switch for 1995 K75RT...

dano1946

My '95 K75 starts great and runs great...that is, until it shuts down willy-nilly. Shutdown can be 30 seconds after starting up or at speed on the highway. Completely unpredictable. All I have to do to get it re-started is blip the ignition switch off and back on. Easy when in higher gear--don't even take it out of gear; just flip it off/on while coasting. In 1st gear in a tight turn in gravel, it can almost throw me before I can even begin to reach the switch.

I'm sure it's the ignition switch. I had the identical issue with a 1994 Kawasaki. New switch fixed it.

What I'm wanting to know, if anyone has an opinion, is where to get the best deal on a new ignition switch. (No used ones--I already have one of those) I haven't checked the BMW dealer yet because they'll undoubtedly want a pint of blood.

Need ignition switch for my 1995 K75RT...

My '95 K75 starts great and runs great...that is, until it shuts down willy-nilly. Shutdown can be 30 seconds after starting up or at speed on the highway. Completely unpredictable. All I have to do to get it re-started is blip the ignition switch off and back on. Easy when in higher gear--don't even take it out of gear; just flip it off/on while coasting. In 1st gear in a tight turn in gravel, it can almost throw me before I can even begin to reach the switch.

I'm sure it's the ignition switch. I had the identical issue with a 1994 Kawasaki. New switch fixed it.

What I'm wanting to know, if anyone has an opinion, is where to get the best deal on a new ignition switch. (No used ones--I already have one of those) I haven't checked the BMW dealer yet because they'll undoubtedly want a pint of blood.

Thanks for any help.

thanks for the advice. I'm new to the MOA forums.

Welcome!
You might try here.... https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/ignswitch652.htm

You also might get more/better feedback by placing this posting in the Flying Brick K Bikes section. :thumb
No need to repost. One of the Moderators will move this for you later.
And, if one of the Members can help, please use the Private Message system.
Good luck.
OM

TWO threads have been merged

Last edited:
Dano
Try cleaning it first via that link Lee sent you.
I had your same problem and cleaning it completely fixed it.
A little advice
Take it apart over a large tupperware like baking pan so you don't loose any parts, there are 3 tiny springs in there.
When it comes time to reassemble I had a bear of a time, until I turned the switch upside down, this will make sense when you have it in your hands. Then it went together.
Mine looked clean when I took it apart, no black marks or any crud. I cleaned it up got it back in and no problems since.
Good luck
Nick
1990 K 75 RT

You might try here.... https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/ignswitch652.htm

You also might get more/better feedback by placing this posting in the Flying Brick K Bikes section. :thumb

That switch (part # ending in 652), is for pre 4/85 K100s. It has a different connector. Unless it comes with two different connectors, their application chart is incorrect.

I guess you COULD cut the connector off and solder on your old connector, but then you would end up with a different key for your ignition vs the gas cap, seat lock, and saddlebag locks.

Try the cleaning first. If that doesn't work, I would suggest the correct electrical portion of the switch from BMW.

:dance:dance:dance

Dano,

This is the electrical part of the switch:

61 31 1 459 594 IGNITION/LIGHT SWITCH (from 04/85) $99.00

Here's how to fix the one you have:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?85331-Ignition-Switch-Cleaning

Thanks for the help. I'll try cleaning it first.

...I checked out the "how-to" link. That kind of help is priceless! thanks! I didn't know that the electric part of the switch could be separated so easily.

Regarding the grease mentioned in the "how-to" link: will the dielectric grease used when connecting the cables from the meter to the house electrical entrance box to the house work, or should it be something more like wheel bearing grease? (I would think that the dielectric grease isn't necessarily meant for friction reduction in moving parts...) - thanks

Last edited:
Sorry, I wish I knew.

Last one I did, I usd a tiny tiny dab of light bearing grease.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Back