• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sturgis Rally NOT cancelled?

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
At the risk of starting a broiler fire, what were these people thinking of when they decided to go ahead with this rally (which starts in 4 weeks) in the middle of health crisis which is only getting worse day by day? Oh right, they're thinking about money. Silly me. :banghead

Orange and black masks with the bar and rockers will be the uniform of the day. One can only hope...

There is an August BMW rally here in the west that is still taking place. The sponsoring club is still working on logistics for lodging and food. So, it’s not just Sturgis I guess.

Best,

DeVern

Complaining about Sturgis- Meh. “Raft-ups” in Michigan, beaches in Florida and thinking this a problem that exists somewhere else isn’t a great idea. If one feels the have to go to a big gathering, it’s a gamble with your health.
OM

Interesting to see that Sturgis is still on, though given the hoopla surrounding the Mt. Rushmore speech (it's less than an hour away) and the SD Governor's actions I can't say it surprises me at all, though. I think it quite possible that traveling next summer won't be advisable either.

Interesting to see that Sturgis is still on, though given the hoopla surrounding the Mt. Rushmore speech (it's less than an hour away) and the SD Governor's actions I can't say it surprises me at all, though. I think it quite possible that traveling next summer won't be advisable either.

There's a Myrtle Beach Bike Week next week and the SC infection rate is 25% higher than SD's. Lots of good choices for the virus.

Interesting to see that Sturgis is still on,...

I live in Colorado, and have a cabin near Beulah, WY, which is just across the SD border from Spearfish, and about 30 miles from Sturgis. Beulah is a thriving metropolis of 33 people, and our cabin is in the suburbs where the population density is lower. In Fort Collins, everyone wears a mask. I think we all felt a bit odd at first, but we all do it. So far Colorado has been able to keep the virus from going exponential. We are fortunate to have a governor in Colorado who understands math and the meaning of R-nought. We had a breakout in the ski resorts in mid-March, and later a flare-up at the meat packing plant in Greeley. The Gov acted quickly to clamp down in March. But even so, we are starting to see some uptick in cases recently.

When we visited our cabin in May, and shopped in Spearfish, we noticed that only the employees of the grocery stores were wearing masks, and just a few of the customers. In many businesses, even the employees weren't wearing masks. I have a feeling that SD is going to discover the consequences of exponential growth.

In the rural west the folks have a very strong streak of independence. As our Colorado Governor noted, if you tell western people they MUST do something, then they are likely to do just the opposite to show you who's boss. Instead, he made an appeal to our civic responsibility, explaining that the purpose of the mask is to protect the vulnerable. That's a powerful message to rural folks, who depend on their neighbors a lot. I hope the folks in SD and WY get the message sooner rather than later.

cap

I live in Colorado, and have a cabin near Beulah, WY, which is just across the SD border from Spearfish, and about 30 miles from Sturgis. Beulah is a thriving metropolis of 33 people, and our cabin is in the suburbs where the population density is lower. In Fort Collins, everyone wears a mask. I think we all felt a bit odd at first, but we all do it. So far Colorado has been able to keep the virus from going exponential. We are fortunate to have a governor in Colorado who understands math and the meaning of R-nought. We had a breakout in the ski resorts in mid-March, and later a flare-up at the meat packing plant in Greeley. The Gov acted quickly to clamp down in March. But even so, we are starting to see some uptick in cases recently.

When we visited our cabin in May, and shopped in Spearfish, we noticed that only the employees of the grocery stores were wearing masks, and just a few of the customers. In many businesses, even the employees weren't wearing masks. I have a feeling that SD is going to discover the consequences of exponential growth.

In the rural west the folks have a very strong streak of independence. As our Colorado Governor noted, if you tell western people they MUST do something, then they are likely to do just the opposite to show you who's boss. Instead, he made an appeal to our civic responsibility, explaining that the purpose of the mask is to protect the vulnerable. That's a powerful message to rural folks, who depend on their neighbors a lot. I hope the folks in SD and WY get the message sooner rather than later.

cap

I live in Spearfish, my wife, daughter and I are the rare exception to the unmasked and un distanced. Our county has had very few cases, it is hard to convince people that the disease is out there. I expect a significant outbreak after Sturgis.

When people ask about the Rally I tell them this:

"We're doing OK here in The Black Hills of South Dakota right now with COVID cases. We watch in horror as the rest of the country spikes and wonder how long before it makes its way here.
So if you plan on vacationing at our rivers, lakes, or on our prairies this summer, I think you should know that red ants and bedbugs have infested hotels and motels across the area due to a wetter than usual spring. Mountain lions have eaten all domesticated animals and some smaller people. Rattlesnakes are biting willy nilly without warning. They have been caught eating cats and small dogs. The poison ivy has overtaken all other vegetation. We have had bear sightings at every park and town.
We have Bigfoots INVADING OUR PARKS and Porcupines "stabbing" small children should they dare to enter the forest. Skunks have made their way over and multiplied at unprecedented rates and wander the local campgrounds in packs. Murder hornets!?! We’ve got ****LOADS of murder hornets. And I’m pretty sure all private tiger owners have released them into the streets of our cities and towns. Head lice now fly... right beside the bats.

So stay where you are, in your own province, state or county where it's safe!
Seriously, PLEASE DO NOT COME HERE... ✋🏼 "

Unfortunately the "Chip" has more followers - https://www.buffalochip.com/NEWS-IN...BKkTbtfPXPVzS9UDza0wdfD04H_oVQmNg9jddrEf86p8U

They could not "cancel" bike week at Sturgis if they wanted to. There is no registration. People just come. The town could refuse to license vendors - which would then just go out into the County. So the City won't because they need the sales tax and fees to run the city the other 50 weeks of the year. They could order the bars closed but there is plenty of booze in Rapid City or Deadwood, and plenty of room to haul coolers on the trailers beside the bikes. No way can they cancel it. If they ordered a quarantine there is no place to send people. Canceling Sturgis simply isn't possible.

I live in Spearfish...

Hey neighbor. :wave

I like your list of reasons to stay away. It might help to add this, “... and Oh, by the way, in recent years the rally has become a gathering of BMW-riding ATGATT warriors.” Now, that will kill attendance.

:hide

Hey neighbor. :wave

I like your list of reasons to stay away. It might help to add this, “... and Oh, by the way, in recent years the rally has become a gathering of BMW-riding ATGATT warriors.” Now, that will kill attendance.

:hide

True Dat

Back