• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1150 RT ABS Failure / Front brake does not activate servo

afontova

Hello,

My 02 RT's ABS warning started flashing last weekend , the fast 4hz flashing along with the general warning light always being on, bike only has residual braking now. Bike 42k bought it almost 2 years ago and it has been perfect to this point.

Pulling the front will not activate the servo. Pressing rear brake activates the servo and it will not shut off.

I googled the heck out of it and can't find any info on why the front brake will not activate the servo and abs or what else to do. Guessing the servo has died and close to the point of doing the servonectomy ( removing the servo and ABS completely).

Any advice greatly appreciated !

Here is what I have done so far:
- the front brake does activate the brake light so it appears to connected
- replaced brake light
-charged battery
- Pulled the fuses and disconnected battery to try and reset ABS
-Flushed front brake circuit (confirmed servo not working at all no fluid got pumped) old school way with mini-vac and brake lever

When was the last time you had the entire system properly flushed? Yearly is a good rule of thumb for these systems. Have you still got the original rubber brake hoses on it?

Hi, brakes were flushed last year. Still has rubber lines unfortunately. Still haven't been able to get servo to work, thinking I am going to remove the servo, always hated it but abs is nice. Will move to braided lines with this mod.

Hi, brakes were flushed last year. Still has rubber lines unfortunately. Still haven't been able to get servo to work, thinking I am going to remove the servo, always hated it but abs is nice. Will move to braided lines with this mod.

You need to first replace the lines with stainless braided lines (spieglerusa.com) and then give the entire system a proper flush. I'll take a wild assed guess and venture that internally deteriorated rubber brake lines have clogged your servo. No guarantees it'll fix the problem.

Back