• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT fuel quick disconnects

srmRT

After smelling gas fumes yesterday while stopped at a traffic light, I have found the quick disconnect for the main fuel supply line leaking at the fuel tank intake point. The bike is a 2011 R1200RT with 28,000 miles on it.

I have ordered replacement qd's from BeemerBoneyard that should be here tomorrow. What is the trick to separating the BMW hose clamps, without having a specific set of pliers? I have tried, gently, prying them open with a flat blade screwdriver to no avail, yet.

Also, what is the best way to unscrew the old qd fitting out of the tank top plate? I have tried 19mm wrench which is a little too small. I don't currently have anything bigger but it looks like I will need something to fit the flats. I guess I could use a "monkey wrench".

I guess I could just cut off the short section of fuel hose and install a new one between the supply line and the new qd's, with new sensible hose clamps. I have read that the fuel line should be 5/16" with fuel injection specs, right?

I am also replacing the qd on the return line, although it is not leaking.

Any help with the BMW hose clamps and unscrewing the old fitting from the tank will be appreciated.

Thanks.

You will need to gently heat the fitting (heat gun NOT a TORCH )in the tank to soften the thread sealant. I use a small crescent wrench to remove the fitting if is intact. I have replaced 6 of these and two were cracked. Those 2 broke off and I used a spiral easy- out to remove the stub. Hard to believe BMW went with the plastic QD instead of the metal version. I have seen 2 of the plastic ones crack at the top of the threads. One just weeped, the other was dripping a tablespoon per minute while running! That was a R1200R where the fitting is in the tank saddle and dripped directly onto the cylinder.

The ear clamps can be removed with a side cutters by nibbling thru A little at a time where the ear is pinched.
A Dremel tool with a small cut-off disk will work also.

Be sure to knead the sealant Packet and give it 12 hours to dry before adding gas to the tank.

The clamps can carefully opened with a good quality small screwdriver working the loop left to right from both sides.
The clamps can be reused if straightened.

Use SAE30R9 5/16" fuel injection hose.

Remove the tank side as per instructions above.

Thanks Chuck and GSAddict,

Especially for the tip on heating the old fitting to dissolve the thread sealant, and allowing the new sealant to cure. I have seen a video or other pictures of using a small flat screwdriver to spread the hose clamps, and I have side cutters and a Dremel tool as a last resort, so getting them off now should not be a problem.

This deal right here more than justifies the cost of my re-joining the bmwmoa.org. Thanks guys!

Steve

I have a 2011 R1200R and most, if not all of my fittings were replaced under a recall. I don't know if that apples to the R1200RT

I have a 2011 R1200R and most, if not all of my fittings were replaced under a recall. I don't know if that apples to the R1200RT

The service records with this bike do not show any such recalls having been performed, but that does not mean that they were not done. The return line qd, which is not leaking, has a metal male end fitting into a plastic female end, and I don't know if that is OEM or if is has been replaced. Judging by the flexibility of that complete fitting, which is not very substantial, I would expect it to leak at any time. When I receive the new replacement fittings, I can then tell if it has already been replaced or if it is OEM. Either way, I think I will replace it.

The main supply line qd fitting was definitely leaking.

The service records, from a BMW dealer, do indicate via a note that a "fuel pump recall repair, installed repair kit" was performed in 2016, without further details. I may call that dealer to see if they have more detail regarding that repair. It would be nice to know.

Thanks, and I appreciate your response!

Recall details are here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2013/RCRIT-13V617-4409.pdf

Some of the pumps that were "repaired" by adding the reinforcing ring subsequently leaked and were replaced entirely. My local dealer automatically replaced any affected pump on the first visit due to the high failure rate of the repaired units.

The recall work does not replace any of the quick-disconnects. It repairs the female fitting on the fuel pump (or replaces the entire pump) that the quick-disconnect threads into.

Thanks for the info Larry,

I spoke with the dealer who did the fuel pump repair, and the gentleman I spoke with was not familiar with the extent of what was done, as his records from 2014 only showed that the fuel pump "had been repaired".

He did say that the quick disconnects which I have on the return line, metal male section into plastic female section, are the BWM "updates", so someone has replaced the original ones at some time. Seems to me that would have been an excellent time to also replace the all-plastic one on the main fuel supply line, since common knowledge was that they were prone to leakage. Oh well.

The replacements from BeemerBoneyard came today and will both be installed.

Thanks again for the info. :)

Back