• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250R - Touring Windshield ? - Current Problems

I have a new 2020 1250R and recently installed a Cal Sci tall screen that allows me to look roughly 2" over the top edge. I'm 5'9 with 28/29" inseams. I drove about 60 miles home after the install and was struck with the insanely loud wind buffeting....to the extent my ears rang for 2 days and I wore custom ear plugs. I wear an Aria helmet. The bike was quieter naked but tough on the neck muscles at 70 mph.

I really want to tour with this bike and need /ask for feedback from anyone who has experienced a similar experience and how you may have solved for it. Other experiences and wisdom with other screens? Z Technik tall V Streams? Schuberth Helmets?

I've owned 9 other bikes and 4 other BMW's. RT was the best! The current helmet wind / noise buffet is the worst I've ever experienced. I'll lose my hearing at this level let alone enjoy a day in the saddle.

Always appreciate the BMW family of like minded great people.

Kind Regards, Doug from Kansas

I have a new 2020 1250R and recently installed a Cal Sci tall screen that allows me to look roughly 2" over the top edge. I'm 5'9 with 28/29" inseams. I drove about 60 miles home after the install and was struck with the insanely loud wind buffeting....to the extent my ears rang for 2 days and I wore custom ear plugs. I wear an Aria helmet. The bike was quieter naked but tough on the neck muscles at 70 mph.

I really want to tour with this bike and need /ask for feedback from anyone who has experienced a similar experience and how you may have solved for it. Other experiences and wisdom with other screens? Z Technik tall V Streams? Schuberth Helmets?

Get the Werks Quiet Ride. It will be very quiet and depending on the height you choose (the company can suggest a size based on information from you), you should have plenty of room (more than 2") to look over the top.

Last edited:
Get the Werks Quiet Ride. It will be very quiet and depending on the height you choose (the company can suggest a size based on information from you), you should have plenty of room (more than 2") to look over the top.

Does Werks make a windscreen for the 1250R? Looking at their web site I only see screens for the RT.

Does Werks make a windscreen for the 1250R? Looking at their web site I only see screens for the RT.

I don't know. I do know that ZTechnik (National Cycle) makes excellent windshields for most BMWs. I have had three on different bikes.

I have tried the V-Stream Sport/Tour shield and the Puig screen. Neither worked for me for much the same reasons as you and I've gone back to the BMW tall screen. It works ok (takes pressure off my chest) but it's not as much protection as I want and I haven't spent a long day in the rain yet. That will be the acid test. The V-Stream was the better of the two and had it been a bit taller I think it would have worked. I'm 5'11", 29" inseam. I have both screens for sale if you want to try either at a reduced price (50%).

If you try the Werks please post your experience.

I have a Cal Sci on my RT. When I raise it to the highest setting, I will get a good bit of noise from the windshield vent. I don't normally run with it that high though. Had the same issue on my wife's Spyder RT at higher speeds. I have considered blocking the hole just to see what happens. If there is air space under the nose of the shiels, we really shouldn't need a vent hole to stop buffeting.

I have no way of knowing if this applies to that bike. However, I once had a bike - F650 - on which I tried four different windshields and still could not eliminate the buffeting. By accident I discovered that the source of the buffeting was air flowing from beneath the windshield and up along the sides of the fuel tank. I say "by accident" because what eliminated 99% of the buffeting was when I installed a tank bag on the motorcycle.

I am not suggesting a tank bag as a fix but I am suggesting you get some tape and some yarn or cord and identify where the air that is causing the problem is coming from.

I have no way of knowing if this applies to that bike. However, I once had a bike - F650 - on which I tried four different windshields and still could not eliminate the buffeting. By accident I discovered that the source of the buffeting was air flowing from beneath the windshield and up along the sides of the fuel tank. I say "by accident" because what eliminated 99% of the buffeting was when I installed a tank bag on the motorcycle.

I am not suggesting a tank bag as a fix but I am suggesting you get some tape and some yarn or cord and identify where the air that is causing the problem is coming from.

The tank bag most likely disrupted the lower air flow.

I come from the cruiser world of riding. On a V Star 1300 going down the road you would get your head bobbled terribly behind a windshield. Same with a couple other brands of bikes. A good way to tell where the buffeting is coming from is to put your left arm across your lower chest when riding on a fairly calm day. If you buffeting to the head stops, you need fork lowers or some kind of lower deflector to correct the airflow. Fork lowers are cheap and easy to build. I have built at least a dozen sets for friends and the Mrs.

Wind screens and noise are very personal things.

Most of noise is not generated by the windscreen but buy the helmet. Good helmets are designed to handle wind (noise) in clean air, ie no windshield./ That is why most people find the most quiet with out any wind screen. When a good helmet is place in a bunch of wind vortex, etc introduce by a windscreen, rider body placement, etc etc strange things happen...mostly noise.

As screen that works for one rider/bike/helmet combination may not for the next. Advice on one riders windscreen preference provide often unreliable input

Wind screens that have complex shapes,sharp folds etc are like to make more turbulent wind flow...likely more noise. ( I feel the stock screen fails in this way..but does look good!)
Windscreens with holes/vent in them reduce back pressure often help with some vortex and pressure on arms and sometime helps noise.

Often adding a windscreen to reduce noise is like chasing chimera. Having a huge fairing/windscreen like the RT, some harley's other may put you in a bubble of still air and in fact reduce wind noise. ie car like!

I use a lower wind screen to reduce fatigue, on long day by keeping most of the wind pressure off my body and keep my upper helmet in clean air for minimal noise. I use it in the up position to keep more rain off my face shield and body...but suffer more noise in this position.

For minimal noise I would recommend as low a screen as you can accept, with simple *not compound" curves and straight in the vertical axis.
Often rider try 2 or 3 screens before they fine a suitable one for themselves.

Thanks to all!

In just 24 hours, I received a few hundred years of riding experience of value! Thank you all! I rode last night and identified two key elements of my crazy wind noise challenge:

1. My custom fitted ear plugs, made of a hard type plastic actually transferred extra db's into my ear canal!
2. Wearing no ear plugs under my Arai with windscreen up, was noticeably improved.
3. Wearing cheap Hearos ear plugs properly positioned in my ears was dramatically better and very near acceptable even at 80 mph.

Take Away.....hard plastic type ear plugs seemed to amplify noise!

Windshield air flow. I checked every possible angle and air path while riding in excess of 70 mph and found the single point of buffet to be in the middle top edge of the Cal Sci windshield. Taking my hand and moving it slowing up above the top center edge about 3 to 4 inches shut off the direct air flow impacting my helmet and reduced the noise about 75%!

So, I ordered a Wunderlich Ergo Wind Deflector to attach to my to shields top edge. It has a wide level of adjustments and I feel confident this solution should provide me with a great and quiet(er) ride. Albeit may look a bit awkward / ugly, it should work! Standby for my test results.

All of you are correct, when you buy a new bike, even after test riding it, the fine tuning can be exceptionally challenging and expensive. I have to remember too, riding a motorcycle is an event on two wheels exposed to all the elements of nature......and after all, that's why we ride!

What he said, and then I read further and realized I'd made the same mistake, thought you were talking about an RT

windscreen

I've owned 9 other bikes and 4 other BMW's. RT was the best! The current helmet wind / noise buffet is the worst I've ever experienced. I'll lose my hearing at this level let alone enjoy a day in the saddle.

Go look into 7Jurock. I installed their middle size in .25 inch thickness with a Honda vent in the center. Call them and talk to Kiara. Great shield...

I added a Puig Wind Deflector and it solved the buffeting problem.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...9HehSZ8iw6IdJDr4HyGj1XiMOCTYgou4aArubEALw_wcB

Go look into 7Jurock. I installed their middle size in .25 inch thickness with a Honda vent in the center. Call them and talk to Kiara. Great shield...

They don't list a shield for the R1200R, all their shields are for faired models.

They don't list a shield for the R1200R, all their shields are for faired models.

Like I said, call them talk to Kiara. Jose., the owner will make you a custom shield. They did for me on several occasions on my GWs and K bikes. Let me know if you have troubles. I'll be happy to contact them for you

Back