Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Planning for 2021 ride to Great Falls? (advice please)

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    In two small (3K rd trip) and two large (9K rd trip) journeys from Boston, one thing I learned was to not avoid small towns during your travels. I tried to stop every hundred+ miles or so, get off the bike and talk with the local folks. At one stop (2012) in Randolph, Nebraska I had a great conversation with a local farm-owner who spotted my motorcycle and Massachusetts plate. In about fifteen minutes we covered a range of topics, exchanged snail-mail addresses and became pen pals for about five years.

A tall, ATGATTed stranger with a strange motorcycle, and a rarely-seen plate is a source of great interest. When the helmet comes off and the smile comes on, you're a conversation-magnet.

Oh yeah. I have many such stories even locally. Went to the hardware store during the lockdown and some old dude wanted to talk about riding. From 6' away of course. I was on my first overnight trip a couple years ago (finally have a bike I trusted to start consistently) and stopped for an iced coffee at Sheetz on a burning hot day. A fellow with a limp wanted to talk bikes and all about his accident years ago. Last summer, I was enjoying a cold tea and the local sheriff in WV pulled up and invited me to sit in his air conditioned cruiser (in the front!!) and we talked bikes, the economy, etc for 20 minutes. Still made me nervous. Then I met some coal miners covered in soot who wanted to talk bikes. It's a lot of fun.

The one thing I do worry about is some of those wide open spaces in the middle of (what I call) nowhere. Everyone's nowhere is somewhere to someone else. Anyhow, some of that looks desolate and remote. I'm sure folks are friendly and kind.....but anyone ever have a bad interaction?

If you want to meet people ride a sidecar, with a woman riding a sidecar.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    Anyhow, some of that looks desolate and remote. I'm sure folks are friendly and kind.....but anyone ever have a bad interaction?
    We like desolate and remote. We have never been hassled in remote areas, if anything people are more apt to help if you have a problem.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

The one thing I do worry about is some of those wide open spaces in the middle of (what I call) nowhere. Everyone's nowhere is somewhere to someone else. Anyhow, some of that looks desolate and remote. I'm sure folks are friendly and kind.....but anyone ever have a bad interaction?
    Rule One is to always maintain situational awareness. There are places, times, and situations you don't want to be involved in, but they can happen anywhere, including your own back yard. Having said that, I've never had a problem in remote areas. In fact the more remote the safer I've felt.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Rule One is to always maintain situational awareness. There are places, times, and situations you don't want to be involved in, but they can happen anywhere, including your own back yard. Having said that, I've never had a problem in remote areas. In fact the more remote the safer I've felt.
    Ever been to Poplar, Montana?

Has an interesting nick name.

I decided to move on.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, Mi

As others have found, people in low-population areas always have seemed interested in helping or supporting the lonely traveler. In addition, when I was crossing Utah and Nevada on US50/US6 a few years ago, there was always plenty of cellular service on "the loneliest road in America."

IMG_0106.jpeg

Also, I think a career in law enforcement tends to give a person a nose for tension and unhappiness in a person or group, and that's helpful in just about any place.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by wkoppa View Post
    Ever been to Poplar, Montana?

Has an interesting nick name.

I decided to move on.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, Mi

Not been there, but other places where I decided I was better off some place else.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Wear a neck tie...
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Wear a neck tie...
    Some place provide one.
    Greg Feeler

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    If you want to meet people ride a sidecar, with a woman riding a sidecar.
    Dogs trump women on the sidecar delay factor.

BBDA5213-FF24-48D6-A9F1-67EF15769CF8.jpeg
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Dogs trump women on the sidecar delay factor.

BBDA5213-FF24-48D6-A9F1-67EF15769CF8.jpeg
    No doubt!
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Mehrten

Map Planning...

Wanda and I use Google maps to plan our rides/trips.

We create a map for each day. About 10 destinations or stops along the way can be added.

Makes what-ifs and how-fars easy to work out.

The route can also be shared or embedded in a document. We keep a spreadsheet of our trips and have the maps embedded in them.

For example this is our second day out going to Great Falls next year: https://goo.gl/maps/P6kxGXCajNNpv5a67

Once we have our route all worked out in Google, we use Garmin Express and Base Camp to put it into our Nav Vi.

Just to be on the safe side, Wanda carries some copious notes and I have a paper map in the tank bag.

See you in Great Falls!

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Wow! Thanks that will surely be on my list
    If you decide to take Nebraska hwy 2, most of the gas stations only have 87 AKI.
    The only gas higher than 87 between Grand Island and Alliance that we saw was at Thedford . Thedford is approx 150 west of Grand Island. Thedford had 91.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT