• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'94 K75S ABS - brake pad options?

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
It's time for brake pads on my K75S. Looking through the threads here, I'm not seeing any recent posts about brake pad choices for a '94 K75S. EBC HH were mentioned in a 2010 post and my buddy had Ferodo pads on a '85 K100 he used to own. He said he got more mileage from the Ferodo's than the EBC's, but I googled and can't find a vendor for Ferodo motorcycle pads.

What are the current brake pad favorites among K75 owners?

TIA

Last edited:
It's time for brake pads on my K75S. Looking through the threads here, I'm not seeing any recent posts about brake pad choices for a '94 K75S w/ ABS. EBC HH were mentioned in a 2010 post and my buddy had Ferodo pads on a '85 K100 he used to own. He said he got more mileage from the Ferodo's than the EBC, but I googled and can't find a vendor for Ferodo motorcycle pads.

What are the current favorites?

TIA

I use EBC HH pads on both of my k75s and on Voni's R1100RS.

I am a total EBC fan. I use the HH pads on the front of all my bikes, and even use EBC pads on my cars. The first set I put on my Jetta dramatically increased stopping over the stock pads.

Ran,

EBC HH. No fade, low dust, easy on rotors.

Your bike uses two sets of FA 171 on the front and one set of FA 18 on the rear.

Earlier bikes use FA 18 all the way around.

:dance:dance:dance

Ran,

EBC HH. No fade, low dust, easy on rotors.

Your bike uses two sets of FA 171 on the front and one set of FA 18 on the rear.

Earlier bikes use FA 18 all the way around.

Great info.

Is this only applicable to a ‘94 “S”, or would these specs also apply to a ‘94 “Standard”?

Vark,

All K75 models (with the exception of the drum on the back of the C):

Front:

to 9/88 FA 18

from 9/88 FA 171

Rear:

all FA 18

The pads are NOT interchangeable even though they look identical. The friction material is the same size, but the backing plate on the FA171 is 2mm wider than the FA18. BMW changed to a different Brembo caliper (looks identical) on the front only 9/88 that required the different pad. (WHY????):dunno

If you put an FA18 pad in a later caliper, it will rattle around and not be safe. If you jam a FA171 in an early front caliper or any rear caliper (not sure if it physically possible), it will stick and be unsafe.

Vark,

All K75 models (with the exception of the drum on the back of the C):

Front:

to 9/88 FA 18

from 9/88 FA 171

Rear:

all FA 18

The pads are NOT interchangeable even though they look identical. The friction material is the same size, but the backing plate on the FA171 is 2mm wider than the FA18. BMW changed to a different Brembo caliper (looks identical) on the front only 9/88 that required the different pad. (WHY????):dunno

If you put an FA18 pad in a later caliper, it will rattle around and not be safe. If you jam a FA171 in an early front caliper or any rear caliper (not sure if it physically possible), it will stick and be unsafe.

Duly noted. Thank you very much.

Lee, thanks for the explanation about ABS vs non-ABS front calipers and differences in EBC pads. I've written to Parts Giant and asked for a correction to their database. They show the FA18HH as being suitable for the ABS front calipers. [I haven't installed the newly purchased pads. They will likely be going in my 88 K75S without ABS first anyway. A feller showed me that it was ok to have more than one K75S.]

Lee, thanks for the explanation about ABS vs non-ABS front calipers and differences in EBC pads. I've written to Parts Giant and asked for a correction to their database. They show the FA18HH as being suitable for the ABS front calipers. [I haven't installed the newly purchased pads. They will likely be going in my 88 K75S without ABS first anyway. A feller showed me that it was ok to have more than one K75S.]

Maybe I missed the ABS distinction, but the way I read 98Lee’s info, it was a date distinction.

Is there actually a difference between ABS and non-ABS bikes of the same model year?

I just went out to the garage to check my box of brake pads. I have two sets of FA 171HH pads that I marked 92 K75S (which has ABS). The FA 18 pad is marked K75S rear. Perhaps it is only the photo shown that is incorrect on the Parts Giant database. Some time earlier I purchased brake rotors and the shown photo was wrong, but the correct rotor arrived. I contacted Parts Giant about the error. It is best to double check on the part ordered.

For my 88 K75S (no ABS) I ordered Carbone Lorraine brake pads from Spiegler the same time I was obtaining replacement brake hoses. These are marked "early K75S" (not my writing, perhaps by Spiegler folks).

Maybe I missed the ABS distinction, but the way I read 98Lee’s info, it was a date distinction.

Is there actually a difference between ABS and non-ABS bikes of the same model year?

It is purely by date of bike production.

It is not related to ABS vs non ABS.

In 1994 it was possible to purchase an R1100RS with or without ABS. Sometime thereafter ABS was standard (i.e., the only choice).

Were K75S bikes also offered with ABS as an option during some time period?

I recently got EBC HH brake pads for my K75S with ABS from Parts Giant for around $70 for two pair for the front. (Rear pads are also available ~ $35). Free shipping.

https://www.partsgiant.com/p342041-ebc-double-h-sintered-brake-pads?f=119437

The Parts Giant website appears to be incorrect. Regardless of position or year the part number at the top remains the same. The picture of the pads they show are FA18. That is not correct for the front of bikes built after 9/88.

In 1994 it was possible to purchase an R1100RS with or without ABS. Sometime thereafter ABS was standard (i.e., the only choice).

Were K75S bikes also offered with ABS as an option during some time period?

ABS was a option after '91 or '92 on K75Ss, RTs, and standards.

Back