• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RS fuel smell after parking in garage

gallahadion

I've just bought a 2004 R1150RS and when sitting in my closed garage, a fuel smell lingers in the air. The smell is strong just after I park the bike in the garage,
but is there for days after I park it. I've only had a the bike for a week. Can anyone help diagnose, or lead me down the right path to look for the culprit?

Fuel line quick disconnects is the first place to look, especially if you have the original black plastic ones.
Do you see any moisture or yellow stains on the silver engine paint?
Good luck and welcome to the site.

After you check the quick-disconnects check to see if the bike has had a “cannisterectomy”; a removal of the charcoal cannister that is part of the emissions equipment. Removing the cannister and venting the tank directly to atmosphere can produce a lingering fuel smell.

Best,
DeVern

Bikes of this vintage and earlier start to have fuel line age deterioration.
The lines harden and shrink under the clamps. Fuel begins to weep by.
I've replaced more and more sets lately.
Use SAE30R9 5/!6" fuel injection line along with the proper fuel injection clamps.

Possible internal rubber line leakage

Check around the fuel evaporative canister to see if the smell is strongest there or there is actually visible fuel. There are rubber lines in the tank which feed vapor to the canister and at about this age and who knows how many years of fuel contaminated with ethanol they can split and leak fuel into the canister.

Honda Pacific coasts were prone to that and in its case, it was the vaccum operated petcock. Gasoline evaporates quickly, so smelling it days later, means it is still leaking where ever it is.

I strongly suspect that DeVern hit the nail on the head in post #5. I bet the charcoal canister has been removed and the fuel tank is vented to the atmosphere via a 2nd hose to down by the right foot peg.

Back