• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best RT years in the last 10?

Just curious, did you get your RT? If so, what did you get?

My 2 cents is you won't go wrong with a 17-18 RT. Got my 18 used with 1,100 miles on her and she's a dream to ride.

It's hard to call one year a "best" since it depends on what factors you are looking for. Having had a 2016 briefly that immediately had issues (my first experience with "limp mode" was during a 2000 mile trip), I ended up back on my 2013 90th edition and have been loving every minute since returning to it (even with 108k miles on it now).

Big factors for me that make me prefer the 2013 bike:
- Easier to work on. I can do all my own maintenance and it's all very straight forward
- Bigger friction zone and closer clutch engagement. I teach courses that involve low speed maneuvers and my clutch hand feels much better after a day on the 2013 than a day with my 2016 did.
- Better feeling low-end torque with a small sacrifice in top end. For most of what I do, my 2013 is quicker around town and more fun in the twisties.
- Lighter and more narrow. The other duty for my bike is a 190 mile round trip commute that involves lane splitting. The couple of extra inches of width on the newer bikes does make a difference (not a huge one, but it's there).
- Price difference! I bought my 2016 used for $14k and my wife took over my 2013. When I got rid of the 2016, I took back the 2013 and we found a 2012 for $6800 with only 20k miles. Amazing bang for your buck.
- Less to go wrong. The 2013 was a pinnacle of the non-water cooled generation. That year specifically being when they switched to a float for the tank and lost the fuel strip. It has less electronics to go wrong and no water system to worry about.
- Frankly, I like the looks of the camhead generation better, but that's just personal preference.

Things I miss from my 2016:
- Quickshift...damn it's fun. The 2016 (and newer models as well) integrate a top end feel that starts to mirror sport bikes. While it feels great, it also gets you up to higher speeds even faster and for those who like to go fast (like me), it can be detrimental.
- Keyless start was nice as well.
- Suspension was markedly better on the 2016. I'm still on my oem suspension on the 2013, but it really could use an upgrade.
- More power...just had to mention it again. It's exhilarating.
- Central locking - mine didn't have it, but I love features like this.

That's generally it. There are a lot of features that don't mean as much to me like ASC, hill start assist, etc. I almost always had mine set to dynamic and disliked having to shut off ASC every time I wanted to play without it (my 2013 doesn't have it equipped).

I bought my 2013 brand new and originally had planned to keep it for 10 years before upgrading. If things are looking good financially in 2023 I may go for the 100th anniversary model if they make one, but for now I love my 2013 and would probably just replace it with another if something happened to it.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. :beer

The Wetheads have a little less torque and and more HP and others can comment on whether that makes any difference at all.

That is incorrect. The 1200 Air/Liquid-cooled engines have slightly more torque than the camheads.

2013 BMW R 1200 RT | Top Speed
Engine Type Air/oil-cooled flat twin (’Boxer’) 4-stroke engine, two camshafts and four radially aligned valves per cylinder, central balancer shaft
Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
Capacity 1,170 cc
Rated output 110 hp (81 kW) at 7,750 rpm
Max. torque 89 ft-lb (120 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
Compression ratio 12.0 : 1

2015 BMW R 1200 RT | Top Speed
Engine Type Air/liquid-cooled four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
Capacity 1,170 cc
Rated output 125 hp (92 kW) at 7,750 rpm
Max. torque 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
Compression ratio 12.5 : 1

The 1250 rules them all.

Engine: Air/liquid-cooled 4-stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft and variable engine timing system BMW ShiftCam
Bore x stroke: 102.5 mm x 76 mm
Displacement: 1,254 cc
Rated output: 136 hp (100 kW) at 7,750 rpm
Max. torque: 105 lb-ft (143 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1

Regarding you maintenance comment. I went from a 2005 R1200RT to a 2019 R1250RT and the maintenance on the 1250 is less and it's easier. I do my own maintenance so I know. In fact, the 1250 has turned out to be a lot easier to maintain :D

I have read that there was a gearbox improvement in 2017 that reduced the "clunkiness" of the wetheads, but cannot confirm.

I have read that there was a gearbox improvement in 2017 that reduced the "clunkiness" of the wetheads, but cannot confirm.
You are correct. I can confirm, having ridden both. The '17 - '18 shift much smoother and work better with the quick shift pro option.

Back