• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best RT years in the last 10?

brownie0486

Mods, please move to appropriate subsection if need be.

I'm interested in acquiring an RT, opinions on best year/s from 2009-2019 and why,

thanks

Simple answer - Newer is better notwithstanding the very rare case where it isn't (servo brakes).

Simple answer - Newer is better notwithstanding the very rare case where it isn't (servo brakes).

From what I've read, some years have more issues than others, like the GS's. Looking for recommendations on what years had less issues, not wanting to buy one in a year with more issues.

thanks

I’ll answer the question.

Long time RT rider here (current 2016 RT). My recommendation, any of the wet head RT’s 2013-2018. The 2019 forward is the 1250’s and I’m reading a lot about I believe it’s called “Cam Head” hardening issues. So I would hold off on the 1250’s for now, at least until there is a recall and solution at a minimum. I would go 2013-2018 R1200RT’s.

And get as many “gizmos” on it that you can because they are awesome, reliable, and worth every penny.

Long time RT rider here (current 2016 RT). My recommendation, any of the wet head RT’s 2013-2018. The 2019 forward is the 1250’s and I’m reading a lot about I believe it’s called “Cam Head” hardening issues. So I would hold off on the 1250’s for now, at least until there is a recall and solution at a minimum. I would go 2013-2018 R1200RT’s.

And get as many “gizmos” on it that you can because they are awesome, reliable, and worth every penny.

Inadequate cam hardening has been an issue with some 2013 and newer liquid cooled, "Wethead" engines, not the oil-cooled engines we often call "Camheads." Seems to have become an issue beginning around the 2016 model year. Seems to be unpredictable, sometimes appearing in as little as 800 miles, or after many thousands of miles.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?95675-Post-here-if-you-ve-had-prematurely-worn-cam-lobe(s)-in-your-wethead&p=1174219&viewfull=1#post1174219

Thanks to all for the opinions and suggestions to date.

I'm sure that this thread has completely resolved your question. :scratch

I chose a 2017 RT because it was the oldest (thus lowest avg purchase price) among the 1200 wetheads that had the upgraded transmission. I bought mine with 6k miles on it, having recently received a complete dealer service, during which the previous owner fell in love with a 1250 during a test ride. Those dealers are clever that way. His trade-in was my good luck. Awesome bike. I must say that I once felt that gizmos were silly. But, having cruise control for the first time, I have to say that I will never purchase another moto without it.

Cap

I would suggest a 2017 or 18.
Great tranny and get all the extras [emoji3]

2019 has two negatives in my opinion
Too much hot air at feet and lower legs.
Too noisy as your cruising from the exhaust valve opening and closing with the slightest grade change. Other than these extremely anal issues the 19 is a great bike

I put 9k miles on. my 2018 and so far about 3k. on my 2019.

I'd get the 2018 RT honestly, the1200 had plenty of power, I find the exhaust valve pop to be annoying, and I actually like the display on info on the dash more on the 2018. My. 0.02

I too would go with a '17 or '18. My '16 is fine but the '17-on got a modified transmission. It is smoother and works fine with the Quick Shift Pro if you like that option. The '16 has a clunky relationship with that option.
I rode a '19 1250 in Europe and found it to be too similar to the 1200 to be worth the extra $$. As T-foiler wrote it gets noisier with the slightest incline. Heat wasn't an issue, we rode through last summer's heatwave (42°C) and wasn't bothered by engine heat. As it's a first year design, sort of, I would wait for used '20 if I was to go with a 1250RT.

Timely Question

Funny you should ask, I rode both my 2010 RT and 2020 RT today for the first time back to back. First impressions? The brakes and the clutch were better on the 2010. Both engaged closer to the grip and the brake came on firm and faster on the 2010. Yes I do my own maintenance. The passenger seat edge on the 2010 was further forward leaving less room to slide on aggressive acceleration and providing more support. I had to put the 2020 on Dynamic setting to get the throttle responsiveness that is the standard and only setting on the 2010. That costs extra in the ride modes pro on the 2020 version. It was the native mapping on my 2010. Both bikes were equally fast off the line for me if the 2020 was in Dynamic ride mode. I'm not a racer. Knee angle is a little tighter on the 2020. I'm 6'1" and use to higher seat setting and bar backs on the 2010. Frankly the consumer electronics on the 2020 are overkill. Give me a GPS, tire gauge and a Sena and I'm happy. You hope to never need the ASC, DTC, LMNOP etc and I certainly wasn't interested in testing them. Safety concerns are a legitimate argument but so is responsible riding.
My engine, the Camhead, went out of production in 2013. It's hard to argue in favor of a seven year old bike. The Wetheads have a little less torque and and more HP and others can comment on whether that makes any difference at all. I'm a less is more person generally, ie. less weight and less maintenance(coolant). Bottom line for me is I bought a 2020 not wanting to be beholden to the major repair liabilities of an older bike. "But it's a BMW" the chorus said, and they might be right. I won't say I have buyers remorse. The 2020RT on the highway at 75 to 90mph really shines, and if you want to ride a passenger I think you have a real gem there. Bottom line for you I think, and my brother who is also in the market, is that the '17 and '18 RT's are fantastic bikes. When forced into a diminishing returns product series it really is nuts to spend 35 to 40% more for the next model. So many good used low mileage RT's out there.

Last edited:
I too would go with a '17 or '18. My '16 is fine but the '17-on got a modified transmission. It is smoother and works fine with the Quick Shift Pro if you like that option. The '16 has a clunky relationship with that option.
I rode a '19 1250 in Europe and found it to be too similar to the 1200 to be worth the extra $$. As T-foiler wrote it gets noisier with the slightest incline. Heat wasn't an issue, we rode through last summer's heatwave (42°C) and wasn't bothered by engine heat. As it's a first year design, sort of, I would wait for used '20 if I was to go with a 1250RT.

+1 on this recommendation. I have a 2015 bought new, I love it, the Quick Shift works very smoothly and I have no plans to trade anytime in the near or distant future. However, if I were looking for a used RT, I would likely lean towards 2017 and above for the improved transmission.

Now, having said that, if the price difference were in the thousands, my 2015 is a superb riding and handling RT and I don't believe the transmission improvement would be worth significant $$ (you'll have to decide what is significant for you).

Good luck in your search and we love pictures!

I have a new 1250 RT but I actually liked the 2012 and 2013 better. Camhead was the best motor before the wetheads. ( I could still work on them)
Nothing wrong with my new bike, I 'm just nervous over the huge amount of electronics on the newer bikes. (what happens when the bike is 10 years old and the delaer won't work on it... I can't)
I had an electronic glitch in my 2016 RS wethead and it took FOREVER to find the problem. And then it took another forever to get the parts (read module) to fix it.

IMHO
SS

German vehicles, including BMW motorcycles, are continuously improved and therefor the last of the model generation is always the best.

Again most German vehicles again including BMW motorcycles are "facelifted" somewhere around the 2/3 mark of their life cycle and usually the facelifted versions are better, as perhaps some major weaknesses are corrected.

The 2010 model RT were the facelifted versions of that generation from 2005 and included a new engine valve train design and with a slight delay return to float actuation of the fuel gauge.

The 2019 Shift Cam bikes are the facelift for the 2014 generation RT Wetheads, again with a new valve train mechanism.

Wetheads were "improved" in 2017 with better transmission shifting.

Back