• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT Rear brake inconsistent pedal feel

hamboyjohn

I picked up my 2013 R1200RT last summer with 6400 miles on it. I just turned over 12k, so I'm working on it :)

Since I got it, the rear brake pedal hasn't felt consistent. The front brakes feel perfect - just the rear feels a little soft sometimes and sometimes not. The rear pedal never goes all the way down like it does when bleeding it. but I'd guess it'll go down an inch to inch and a half in normal use on the road.

When I push on just the rear by itself, it sometimes feels a little soft, but works as well as a rear brake does on a bike. The rear works well enough I can get the ABS to engage without too much effort. I use a little rear brake for low speed maneuvers and practice and it works fine for that too of course. A couple of pumps of the rear pedal will sometimes bring it up a little, sometimes it won't. Sounds like there's air in it, right? The other thing I've noticed is if I'm applying the front lever first and then apply rear pedal, the rear pedal stays higher than when just the rear alone. I assume that has to do with the linked brakes?

I've replaced fluid with fresh DOT4 and bled out the ABS & both front and rear with a GS911 four times now, and replaced the front and rear pads since I got the bike. All through this, the front brakes are perfect.. the rear still has felt inconsistent. There's no leaks or damage to anything that I can see, and I've never seen any bubbles coming out when I bleed (but maybe I missed them).

I'll probably take the rear caliper off and inspect & re-bleed again this week, but before I drive myself nuts over this.. is any of this normal on the 2013 RT, or has anybody experienced this or have any tips?
Thanks

I picked up my 2013 R1200RT last summer with 6400 miles on it. I just turned over 12k, so I'm working on it :)

Since I got it, the rear brake pedal hasn't felt consistent. The front brakes feel perfect - just the rear feels a little soft sometimes and sometimes not. The rear pedal never goes all the way down like it does when bleeding it. but I'd guess it'll go down an inch to inch and a half in normal use on the road.

When I push on just the rear by itself, it sometimes feels a little soft, but works as well as a rear brake does on a bike. The rear works well enough I can get the ABS to engage without too much effort. I use a little rear brake for low speed maneuvers and practice and it works fine for that too of course. A couple of pumps of the rear pedal will sometimes bring it up a little, sometimes it won't. Sounds like there's air in it, right? The other thing I've noticed is if I'm applying the front lever first and then apply rear pedal, the rear pedal stays higher than when just the rear alone. I assume that has to do with the linked brakes?

I've replaced fluid with fresh DOT4 and bled out the ABS & both front and rear with a GS911 four times now, and replaced the front and rear pads since I got the bike. All through this, the front brakes are perfect.. the rear still has felt inconsistent. There's no leaks or damage to anything that I can see, and I've never seen any bubbles coming out when I bleed (but maybe I missed them).

I'll probably take the rear caliper off and inspect & re-bleed again this week, but before I drive myself nuts over this.. is any of this normal on the 2013 RT, or has anybody experienced this or have any tips?
Thanks

IF the 2013's still use rear brake caliper slide pins, is it possible the slide pins are rusty/dirty, not allowing the caliper halves to move smoothly and occasionally hanging up? More knowledgeable folks will know. DP

IF the 2013's still use rear brake caliper slide pins, is it possible the slide pins are rusty/dirty, not allowing the caliper halves to move smoothly and occasionally hanging up? More knowledgeable folks will know. DP

^^^^ what he said...

pretty nasty place back there at the rear caliper...clean and lube that pin...makes a world of difference IMO

:thumb

oh yeah...13RT with 108000+ miles...:dance

You guys are right, that was pretty dusty in there. I took it all apart, cleaned it well, and lubed the pin and clips with some silicone spray. It’s definitely better. I still feel some interaction in the pedal when the rear brake is applied and then I add front brake. Not bad or scary, I just feel it. Anyway it’s much better with a clean pin.
Thanks!

The RT has integrated brakes, meaning the rear is also applied when using front brake lever.

Use of the front brake lever probably suffices for 90% of braking requirements. Certainly both brakes should be properly maintained and operating correctly, but it’s difficult to imagine rear pedal feel problems.

Currently, I can’t recall the last time I’ve used a rear brake pedal and would welcome descriptions of the (must be) really special occasions where this is necessary. Oh, I don’t ride in parking lots or obstacle courses or off road for that matter. Riding since the 1970s fwiw.

I ended up replacing rear pads at start of 2020 as the wear on rear pads was pretty uneven, I'm sure partially due to rear pin being pretty pitted and some rust. I had used the dremel tool to polish it up last year and lubed it, but after a year it was back to the same. I ended up buying a new pin and hardware and it looks and works much better. I do use my rear brake often for slow speed turns, usually just before coming to a stop and at stoplights.

You guys are right, that was pretty dusty in there. I took it all apart, cleaned it well, and lubed the pin and clips with some silicone spray. It’s definitely better. I still feel some interaction in the pedal when the rear brake is applied and then I add front brake. Not bad or scary, I just feel it. Anyway it’s much better with a clean pin.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Keep in mind, we're not just talking about the pin that holds the pads in (which you appear to be referring to). The entire caliper slides laterally on two greased pins (under rubber gators) on the bracket that attaches it to the swingarm. You should periodically unbolt the caliper from the swingarm, pull the bracket off the pins and lube them with a thick grease so that the entire caliper slides smoothly on the two pins when pressed back together. This allows it to center on the rotor which is important since the pistons are one-sided. This could affect the feel of the brakes.

Back