• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New versus old

Yeah, a new Kia Soul with VVT, GDI, CVT, NAV, BT, Voice recognition, and a 100,000 mile/10 year drivetrain warranty will set you back about $20K too! Adaptive cruise and lane departure warning is available for a bit more for those with money to burn. :)

From my shopping, $20k is cheap for a "loaded" mid-sized sedan.

It's the dealer, not BMW. At my dealership you are likely to see a /2 in the service bay next to a new GS.

If that’s the case, BMW ought to set a standard for minimum age of bike their dealerships are required to service. And it should be something far more than 10 years. An 11 year old bike with 30K miles should not be declined service due to age.

If that’s the case, BMW ought to set a standard for minimum age of bike their dealerships are required to service. And it should be something far more than 10 years. An 11 year old bike with 30K miles should not be declined service due to age.

There are plenty of independent shops who specialize in BMW service. Find one and take your bike there.

There are plenty of independent shops who specialize in BMW service. Find one and take your bike there.

We did. The first one kept the bike for two weeks but didn’t fix either problem. (Apparently they lacked a GS911.) It’s been at the second independent shop for a week. Neither is nearly as convenient as the local BMW dealership.

My son will probably sell it and buy a Honda, since service is a hassle. Pretty dumb to have a policy that keeps riders with older bikes away from the dealerships. Who is more likely to be shopping for a newer bike - - someone who already has a new bike, or someone with an older one?

Define mid-size and loaded?

Since a Camry/Accord is a large car in today's world, then a Corolla/Civic is a Mid-size.

I reread the OPs post and it was a Kia Soul, which I would count as a small car, so my reference is off by at least one car size. :blush

If it's paid for and still runs well, keep it. I've thought about getting a new one, but they've gone up quite a bit in 10 years and my salary hasn't. Another thing is, whatever I buy, I would have to be able to do my own maintenance. My RT is about as involved as I want to get, less would be better. As far as sedans go, I hate 4 door cars, but they've become the norm. If I had the dough, a Challenger RT Scat Pack would be my choice, in plum crazy purple. A 1970 442 W-30 would be pretty cool too.

If it's paid for and still runs well, keep it. I've thought about getting a new one, but they've gone up quite a bit in 10 years and my salary hasn't. Another thing is, whatever I buy, I would have to be able to do my own maintenance. My RT is about as involved as I want to get, less would be better. As far as sedans go, I hate 4 door cars, but they've become the norm. If I had the dough, a Challenger RT Scat Pack would be my choice, in plum crazy purple. A 1970 442 W-30 would be pretty cool too.

A 1975 Chrysler Cordoba with genuine Corinthian leather, perhaps????? :)

Back