• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Taillight blinking when signalling

airangus

AirAngus
Some where on a ride today my signal lights got screwed up. When I put the left or right signal on the taillight blinks and the rear signals light up faintly on the off beat if the taillight . Anyone run into anything similar ?

Tail and turn lights have one common ground connection in the tail section. If contacts there are corroded then the turn lights may find their ground through the tail light bulb. Hence the tail light is dimmed when the turn light comes on. The turn lights with a not so perfect ground now through the tail light are also dimmed.

/Guenther

Start with connections

Yep, Gunther is correct, start with the connections, plugs first. Crud or looseness, might be the problem.

Also make sure the wires themselves are in good shape. You don't mention the model year or mileage on the bike in question. Old age can break down insulation allowing cross feed from one circuit to the other.

A damaged harness due to a seat rubbing or such can do the same thing.

An obvious short will blow the fuse, but a little cross feed may not. Good luck, St.

Lights

You need to state what bike you have. I worked on a R90s (rear harness is inside the subframe) where the insulation had broken down. Therefore, when the brake light was activated, it's hot wire was touching one of the turn signal wires and lighting it up.

Later bikes routed the harness outside of the rear subframe.

wires in the subframe

Yep, I have seen the wires inside the subframe, do exactly what RPGR90S describes. I have also seen owner installed extra tail lights, stop lights, turn signals improperly hooked up cause the same problem.

As long as there is no short circuit, only feed from one positive wire to another positive wire, a fuse won't blow. Both the bulb intended to light will light and the other bulb will happily light as well, even though not as brightly.

Cheers, St.

Back