• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ring antenna replacement for EWS failure

07bmwnewbie

Hi, I just bought a 2007 R1200RT which I need to replace the ring antenna. I'm live over 200 miles from a dealer and would like instructions for replacing the ring antenna. Any help would be appreciated.
This is my first post, hope it is done right.

Hi 07bmwnewbie - Your first post was certainly right. This is a large, friendly group of people who enjoy helping others. Welcome to the BMW motorcycle world. I had a 2008 RT and it never had an issue with the ring antenna for the 50,000 miles I owned it. It seems like a long time ago, but I do recall issues with that piece. You could take a look at the NHTSA recall website (assuming you're in the US), put in your entire 17-digit number, and see if it's under recall for that VIN. BMW also has a recall lookup.

Anyway, I did some searches on Google for "BMW Motorcycle Ring Antenna Replacement" and there were more than a few references. You should try the same thing. Looks like the replacement part is available for $55 or so. If there was an NHTSA recall, then you may be eligible for reimbursement for parts and labor.

It seems that you've joined the BMW MOA. There is something called "The Anonymous Book" which might show you members in your area who have tools, etc. which might be of help to you. The Anonymous Book is also online.

So, welcome to the BMW MOA and the Forums. Lots of help is here for you.

JG

Hi, I just bought a 2007 R1200RT which I need to replace the ring antenna. I'm live over 200 miles from a dealer and would like instructions for replacing the ring antenna. Any help would be appreciated.
This is my first post, hope it is done right.

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect that you may need to have the dealer involved regardless, to make sure the new antenna can communicate with the bike and that your key can do likewise. I sent you a PM that may have some useful information.

Best,

DeVern

Thanks John & DeVern

Thank you for all the info. After getting the new ring antenna and directions for replacement, it is more complicated (taking out unremovable screws) and involved then I imagined. At least I can start it now and ride it to a dealer 210 miles away and they can switch it out in an hour.

Thank you for all the info. After getting the new ring antenna and directions for replacement, it is more complicated (taking out unremovable screws) and involved then I imagined. At least I can start it now and ride it to a dealer 210 miles away and they can switch it out in an hour.

I have a 2006 and seems to have the same problem. wondering how long it took you to replace it and what the dealer has to say about it. My bike will start back up but I am nervous about going anywhere now.

Back