• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Returning member in Virginia

srmRT

I originally joined in 2000 with a new GS1150, returning 20 years later with a nice 2011 RT purchased last August, after going through several Honda and Yamaha sport tourers, and a GL1800 in there somewhere. I am in western Virginia, near Roanoke, with plenty of nice riding around here, and I am only a few minutes from WV, which also offers plenty of great riding.

I re-joined the BMWMOA to access all of the knowledge available regarding riding and maintenance, as well as for the social aspect.

I have already learned about valuable aspects of the RT with which I was not familiar, and am looking forward to learning more. I can do most regular maintenance myself, however, the guy from whom I bought the bike is a retired Marine aircraft mechanic with tons of BMW experience also, so if I get stumped, he is only an hour away! Is he ever meticulous!!!

I have added a Denali Cansmart controller system with some extra rear brake lights and a set of front-fork mounted DRL's. My next step is to add a set of Denali DM lights up under the turn signals for more conspicuity. You can't have too much light shining in the front.

I am looking forward to enjoying this forum as much as I am enjoying the bike. :)

Last edited:
Glad you are back. I somewhat familiar with the Roanoke area. I have traveled there via 360/460 many times. Once rode 311 into West Virginia. That was a memorable ride. Sounds like you bought your RT from a great previous owner. Enjoy it.

Welcome back to the MOA. We like the riding in your area.
Some years we stay at Buchanan and do day rides from there.
Frontline Eurosports is a friendly shop.

Wilkommen Back, SRMCTEER; hope your New-2-U Beemer scratches that itch that's been irritating you for quite a long spell. :wave

We moved from MD to AL in 18 & 19; I could've sworn Roanoke was off in western VA :scratch
We went up & down I-81 at least 5 times in rented vans... Jus pullin your proverbial chain, man!

Happy Trails to U along the Blue Ridge(s). Our chapter (#5) is s'posed to meet at the Blue Ridge M/C Campground last weekend in July.
http://blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com

It's just a regular site chosen by the club for a gathering last January, and this summer's rides have been few & far between.

Drop by if you're out enjoying the Twisties.
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

HSVPhil, a few years ago I was at Frontline Eurosports in Salem...right next to Roanoke. The guy at the front counter asked me where I was from. When I told him, he said "Oh, northern Virginia". :scratch Around here, we consider northern Virginia anywhere north of Fredericksburg. I guess it is all in one's perspective. :)

[ Once rode 311 into West Virginia. That was a memorable ride. .[/QUOTE]

I ride 311 a lot, over to the General Store at Paint Bank, Va., which is a neat place with good food. Lots of bikes to see there on weekends. I have also ridden it into WV, over to Lewisburg/White Sulphur Springs area where I lived for 13 years some time ago. We don't need "The Dragon" since we have 311! :)

Welcome back to the MOA. We like the riding in your area.
Some years we stay at Buchanan and do day rides from there.
Frontline Eurosports is a friendly shop.

Thanks,

Buchanan is a neat place, and Frontline IS a friendly shop, run by a man who actually owns and rides motorcyles.

Wilkommen Back, SRMCTEER; hope your New-2-U Beemer scratches that itch that's been irritating you for quite a long spell. :wave

We moved from MD to AL in 18 & 19; I could've sworn Roanoke was off in western VA :scratch
We went up & down I-81 at least 5 times in rented vans... Jus pullin your proverbial chain, man!

Thanks for the invite Phil,

And Roanoke IS off in western VA. It only moved when I fat-fingered my original post, and it moved back to the right place after I corrected my post, thanks to you! :)

That's the place! That is also a couple of good lookin' RS's, which is what I would ride if my legs were shorter...

The raise their own buffalo on a couple of farms down that road to the left.

Welcome from Northern VA!

HSVPhil, a few years ago I was at Frontline Eurosports in Salem...right next to Roanoke. The guy at the front counter asked me where I was from. When I told him, he said "Oh, northern Virginia". :scratch Around here, we consider northern Virginia anywhere north of Fredericksburg. I guess it is all in one's perspective. :)

And proving your point, those of us in Northern VA considered Fredericksburg to be down south in Central VA, right along with Richmond.:thumb

I just so happen to be riding to Buchanan on Friday, plan on doing a bunch of riding in WV and also LOVE hitting the roads up by Marlinton.
We stop in Buchanan on the way to Gatlinburg Tn for the week then back to Buchanan the following weekend.
Looking forward to riding all the mountain roads I can in both location.

I just so happen to be riding to Buchanan on Friday, plan on doing a bunch of riding in WV and also LOVE hitting the roads up by Marlinton.
We stop in Buchanan on the way to Gatlinburg Tn for the week then back to Buchanan the following weekend.
Looking forward to riding all the mountain roads I can in both location.

Wattstull Inn at Buchanan is a nice motorcycle friendly motel.

Back