• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

74 R90/6 aftermarket controls

b5rider

Hi,
I'm new to airheads! After selling all of my 70s Hondas and not having a bike for a while, I found a good R90/6 for restoration and have started to go over the essential systems to get it safely back on the road.
The horn doesn't work and the headlight flasher works intermittently. My master cylinder is shot and I'm not really wanting to pay for a new one.

Sooo, I decided to run a motogadget and relieve the bike off all of its fuses and old connectors. This will allow me to use modern switches and a conventional handlebar-mounted master cylinder.

My question is this:
Has anyone replaced their throttle, brake mc, and clutch with more 'modern' switches? Which ones did you use?

Which aftermarket throttle to use? Am I correct in assuming BMW used dual-pull throttle assemblies?

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Will

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Will -

Welcome to the forum and to BMW motorcycles! I'm not that familiar with Motogadget...you might look at some of the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen that deal with controls on Airheads. Might be some related discussions.

I'm pretty sure that the /6 bikes came with two cables out of the throttle housing...the single cable stuff happened later.

Not sure if you're addressing this with the new setup, but it's important that the charge light function be retained in some fashion. This is necessary for a functioning charge system. There is a workaround using a resistor in the wiring harness if needed.

Back