• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hall sensors

Which years & models had these hall sensors problems?

The R1100s except the R1100S all had HES wiring harnesses that failed. The sensors were typically just fine. The very earliest R1150 bikes also had the bad insulation on the wires in the harness.

There have been occasional outlier failures of sensors but that is extremely rare.

The R1100s except the R1100S all had HES wiring harnesses that failed. The sensors were typically just fine. The very earliest R1150 bikes also had the bad insulation on the wires in the harness.

There have been occasional outlier failures of sensors but that is extremely rare.

So should I be making plans to replace the HES on my '01 R1150GS with 80K?

What year was the first 1150s?
I know the last year was 2004.
I had a R1150R liked it except the ''wizzy brakes".;)

What year was the first 1150s?
I know the last year was 2004.
I had a R1150R liked it except the ''wizzy brakes".;)

I believe the R1150GS came out in 2000, with the other R models still being R1100. I have a friend with a 2000 R1150GS, and I owned a 2000 R1100RT.

Then in 2001, the other models went to R1150.

Any manufacturer with any component (engine, tranny, cab, brakes) can be subject to hall effect failure. They are used everywhere from door to seat to camshaft to gear selection.

The real trick is finding if the are truly the problem.

Visual inspection of the wiring and connectors is a great start.

I looked at mine one winter while doing routine maintenance and then we had a big rain in August. $75.00 to get on a flat deck home. The wiring sheath came apart within those few months.

If in doubt, replace it and it's not unique to BMW or R1100 engines.

Just had a Cat D6T made in France in September have the sensor for the seat belt fail. Grabbed the harness and chunks of sheath came off. I suspect the cold boat ride across the pond made the seat bounce and the sheathing couldn't take the movement in the cold. Looking forward to seeing what happens to those machines in Rankin.

It's just more of the same ... wiring harnesses everywhere on Oilheads are failing because new 1990s Euro regulations required they be biodegradable. This "problem" is endemic with all European vehicles of the era. Complaints about cheap parts are irrelevant, the harnesses are performing as designed.

Oilheads were the first generation subject to the new regulations. Given time, engineers learned how to better deal with them. Subsequent boxers, for example, have CANBus electrical systems which reduces amount of wiring. Also many times cable ties are no longer used, ~3/8 inch wide rubber straps are used instead. Brake hoses are no longer rubber, but now metal wrapped teflon.

Keeping an Oilhead on the road is going to be a labor of love.

It's just more of the same ... wiring harnesses everywhere on Oilheads are failing because new 1990s Euro regulations required they be biodegradable. This "problem" is endemic with all European vehicles of the era. Complaints about cheap parts are irrelevant, the harnesses are performing as designed.

Oilheads were the first generation subject to the new regulations. Given time, engineers learned how to better deal with them. Subsequent boxers, for example, have CANBus electrical systems which reduces amount of wiring. Also many times cable ties are no longer used, ~3/8 inch wide rubber straps are used instead. Brake hoses are no longer rubber, but now metal wrapped teflon.

Keeping an Oilhead on the road is going to be a labor of love.

Naaaaw. These old bikes will go 4ever as long as you deal with the couple of issues they have.

Back