• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW CCA "Roundel" Article Re: The BMW R18

It's Perty, but it's made for someone who has more time, money, and garage space than moi.
Don't think they will sell too many, so it will truly be a Collectable item in 15 - 25 years...

We like our current stable of more functional BMWs, Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

I ride a G310 as my main ride right now. If I had the $$$ to blow I would buy an R18 or whatever they call them just to aggravate people who think what they like is what I should like. I am not impressed by the folks who are convinced that they bought is what I should buy.

I have toured for two summers (2018, 2019) all over the western US and Canada on a 310, which the naysayers say is impossible. So a few fun miles on an 1800cc BMW ought to really frost the Airhead and wedgecamwethead purists.

Nice Share John

As many of you may or may not know, John is not only a Consumer Laison for the MOA but also an ombudsman for the CCA. he was instrumental in helping me with my purchase of the BMW X5 for Rhonda prior to the Iowa Rally.

It’s good to see our sister BMW club making crossover articles. It would be plausible that CCA members, being club oriented, would, after purchasing a BMW motorcycle, become an MOA member too. For those who aren’t aware, BMW Motorrad has three ICC (international Council of Clubs) officially recognized in the US. The MOA, the CCA, and the RA.

I wonder if all the negativity over a new model has BMW scratching their heads :scratch
I always like to see new models/concepts and where the latest is headed.
Learning about what is on the horizon helps keep this old guy ready. :gerg
OM

Things went seriously south in the article at the mention of Indian Jones in 1936. Speaking as a former 20+ year member of the CCA, minimal depth was a hallmark of most Roundel articles.

Yep, I'm not a fan of the R18. The story that the R5/R51 design leads to the R18 ignores the design progression that resulted in the R69. But, just as the R1200C was an experiment, we'll see how the R18 does in the market.

I wonder if all the negativity over a new model has BMW scratching their heads :scratch
I always like to see new models/concepts and where the latest is headed.
Learning about what is on the horizon helps keep this old guy ready. :gerg
OM

Almost all of the negative comments I've seen about the R18 are confined to 55+ existing BMW riders, which doesn't surprise me a bit. At every introduction of something "different" the old guard seems to whine about it. I was working at a Yamaha & BMW shop a bit after the /5s were introduced and about half of the /2 riders really dislike it. Didn't like the look, or the chrome toaster tanks, or the *plastic* fenders! Those won't last at all! Then there was the USA K-bike introduction, and major criticism that it "had no soul", and was just a copy of a Japanese 4-cylinder, and clearly BMW was going to hell in a handbasket. Then out comes the R1100RS. It is pure blasphemy to many, and BMW is *really* going to hell this time.

Clearly, we all have our preferences, but to answer your question about what BMW is thinking about "out" negativity, if they notice at all, I suspect it will be seen as even more proof that the future of the marque is *not* with the old fart touring riders which represent the vast bulk of the BMW MOA. Looking around, BMW has already gotten more recognition in the motorcycle press and mainstream press from the R18, then anything they have done in over a decade. I would think the last time would be the introduction of the S1000RR in 2008.

Personally, I can't wait to ride one, and if it is like I imagine, I would have one in a heartbeat - cost not withstanding. :banghead This wouldn't be my primary rider, but would be for certain times - just like my K1. It's all good!

Almost all of the negative comments I've seen about the R18 are confined to 55+ existing BMW riders, which doesn't surprise me a bit. At every introduction of something "different" the old guard seems to whine about it. I was working at a Yamaha & BMW shop a bit after the /5s were introduced and about half of the /2 riders really dislike it. Didn't like the look, or the chrome toaster tanks, or the *plastic* fenders! Those won't last at all! Then there was the USA K-bike introduction, and major criticism that it "had no soul", and was just a copy of a Japanese 4-cylinder, and clearly BMW was going to hell in a handbasket. Then out comes the R1100RS. It is pure blasphemy to many, and BMW is *really* going to hell this time.

Clearly, we all have our preferences, but to answer your question about what BMW is thinking about "out" negativity, if they notice at all, I suspect it will be seen as even more proof that the future of the marque is *not* with the old fart touring riders which represent the vast bulk of the BMW MOA. Looking around, BMW has already gotten more recognition in the motorcycle press and mainstream press from the R18, then anything they have done in over a decade. I would think the last time would be the introduction of the S1000RR in 2008.

Personally, I can't wait to ride one, and if it is like I imagine, I would have one in a heartbeat - cost not withstanding. :banghead This wouldn't be my primary rider, but would be for certain times - just like my K1. It's all good!
You got my point :wave
OM

I like the "in your face" look of the thing. While it is not a bike that I would likely own, if one thinks BMW and the MOA need to attract younger riders, then one cannot fault BMW for trying to get into the cruiser market, and BMW certainly didn't pull any punches with this effort. Just imagine if this thing really catches on and spawns a smaller version as well. A smaller, light weight, clone of the R18 might attract those who need/want the lower seat height of a cruiser. If BMW can capture even a small part of the cruiser market it could go a long way towards ensuring the future health of BMW/MOA. One major hurtle from the MOA perspective will be this forum. I have my doubts as to how well the 30-40ish first time BMW owner who traded his/her HD for an R18 will be received here.

I like the "in your face" look of the thing. While it is not a bike that I would likely own, if one thinks BMW and the MOA need to attract younger riders, then one cannot fault BMW for trying to get into the cruiser market, and BMW certainly didn't pull any punches with this effort. Just imagine if this thing really catches on and spawns a smaller version as well. A smaller, light weight, clone of the R18 might attract those who need/want the lower seat height of a cruiser. If BMW can capture even a small part of the cruiser market it could go a long way towards ensuring the future health of BMW/MOA. One major hurtle from the MOA perspective will be this forum. I have my doubts as to how well the 30-40ish first time BMW owner who traded his/her HD for an R18 will be received here.

Well said! :clap

I like it well enough, but wish they had kept the lines a little tighter and the look a little lighter in keeping with the R5 (admittedly hard to do given the capacity of the engine and expectations of today's market). But, I've most likely bought my last ICE vehicle. The electric options are just getting too good to overlook. Maybe it will be a BMW, maybe not- time will tell.
:beer

I like it well enough, but wish they had kept the lines a little tighter and the look a little lighter in keeping with the original (admittedly hard to do given the capacity of the engine). But, I've most likely bought my last ICE vehicle. The electric options are just getting too good to overlook. Maybe it will be a BMW, maybe not- time will tell.
:beer

I think you nailed it - the bike's body needs to be of a piece with the engine, and an 1,800 CC boxer is not small.

Last month I gave a copy of our ON to one of our newest riders in D Company, CW3 Carlos Velez. It had the R18 on the cover. His first bike is a Harley “FatBob”. He was genuinely intrigued by the BMW offering, and is sincerely considering it as his next bike and joining the club. If this happens, I hope this young Puerto Rican veteran of foreign wars (infantry jump master 82nd Airborne/helicopter pilot) would feel welcome in our club and on our forums.
85574A78-04C7-43A8-ACDC-895E1DC3E395.jpg

Last edited:
Of course. Lots of Harley riders in the group as well. Maybe he can get a head start.
OM

Of course. Lots of Harley riders in the group as well. Maybe he can get a head start.
OM

Working it! I have the distinct privilege of being these hero’s motorcycle mentor. Getting them on a bike for the first time and watching that “permagrin” form on the face. MOA recruiting information is mounted on my information wall.

Working? /5? He did mention Yamaha.....

Hmmm.......was I born when this happened?

Yes, 1972. I was very young - whippersnapper! It was a great time to get into BMW bikes. The /5 was a very exciting model relative to the very outdated /2's. Then come the 900's and the R90S and the R100RS and the AMA Superbike competition. The new airhead series was developing very fast BMW was on a roll through the '70's!

Back