• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member R vs K?

bartwickard

Hello everyone, look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship!! Just joined MOA (temporary membership) today.

I'm a long time Yamaha and Honda rider, street, tour and dirt. Just purchased a completely restored 1969 Yamaha DT1 250 (one of my first early bikes) and just love looking at it. Can't believe what they cost!

I have the classic/collector bug now and want to buy a classic BMW thats a true rider.
I've spent untold hours over the last month or so trying to determine what bike to buy. Best combination of a rider/collectible. My first inclination was a K100RT or K75RT (I appreciate the technological aspect) but I'm drawn to the R100RT as well. More "BMW" to me. I know whats going to happen, I'll end up with both with no where to put them! The older GS's are unbelievable as well and satisfies my past dirt/enduro days but at 60 years old I'm not sure how smart that would be... Any thoughts? I'm not married to any bike but I like to tour and appreciate some wind protection.

I just bought Claudio Somazzi book BMW Mortorcycles of the Century. Great reference book but is missing so many of the models. Does anyone have a suggestion on what book I can buy to compliment this book?

Hello everyone, look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship!! Just joined MOA (temporary membership) today.

I'm a long time Yamaha and Honda rider, street, tour and dirt. Just purchased a completely restored 1969 Yamaha DT1 250 (one of my first early bikes) and just love looking at it. Can't believe what they cost!

I have the classic/collector bug now and want to buy a classic BMW thats a true rider.
I've spent untold hours over the last month or so trying to determine what bike to buy. Best combination of a rider/collectible. My first inclination was a K100RT or K75RT (I appreciate the technological aspect) but I'm drawn to the R100RT as well. More "BMW" to me. I know whats going to happen, I'll end up with both with no where to put them! The older GS's are unbelievable as well and satisfies my past dirt/enduro days but at 60 years old I'm not sure how smart that would be... Any thoughts? I'm not married to any bike but I like to tour and appreciate some wind protection.

I just bought Claudio Somazzi book BMW Mortorcycles of the Century. Great reference book but is missing so many of the models. Does anyone have a suggestion on what book I can buy to compliment this book?

What's your price range? At $2~3000 you can pick-up a mid to late 90's R1100RT or RS and have a modern suspension and ABS.

Welcome to the forum!
Yeah, those DT 250’s were/are something. I miss the aroma of 2-stroke and wet peat :)
Hang in, we have some members well voiced in the kind of bikes your interested in.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

I'm currently riding an R1200R which is great, but my favorite that I've owned is a 1981 R100RT. I've never owned a K bike but I am drawn to the K75. Enjoy the search.

Doug

Welcome, Old Hodaka ACE rider back in '69. 69' DT-1 was white. I did have two Yamaha R5s.
What is your location?

When I came back into riding 15 years ago after a 20 year hiatus I went back to Honda and most of the bikes I've owned since have been Hondas. My first bikes were Hondas starting in 1970 so that would be natural. After a couple of late model Hondas (2005-2006) I bought a 1981 R100 in 2006. I bought it not really knowing anything about the marque and ended up really enjoying riding and owning it. I bought it for a summer and after coming to appreciate the thought and engineering that went into it I took it apart for a refresh and then rode it 40,000 miles in 5 years as a second bike. They are reliable enough to ride far from home and IMO are classic bikes both worth owning and actually using.

On the R100 at a gas pump or in a parking lot more than a few times a person my age (64) or older came up to me with a BMW recollection from their past; a bike or a perfect riding tour they had years ago or riding on their uncle's or dad's BMW as a child. They all mentioned that seeing the engine's unique shape prompted the conversation. To me the iconic air cooled boxer engine best represents BMW's heritage and that is where I would start. If my first BMW was a K bike I probably would think differently so good luck!

The author Ian Falloon has written books on BMWs that I have enjoyed. All all encompassing book is The Complete Book of BMW Motorcycles. Published in 2015 it does list most if not all models from 1923 to 2015. The book does include production numbers and some information on frame numbers imported into the US. Also The BMW Story - now in a 2019 Second Edition it covers history and bikes from 1923 to 2019. For older bikes BMW Boxer Twins (the Haynes publication) was my favority but it was published in 2004 it leaves out many models since then.

Last edited:

For collectible I would think the K75S would be better than the K75RT.
I had a R100RT and K75S.
I enjoyed the K75S much more than the R100RT. The R100RT required a lot more tinkering to keep it running good.

Welcome, Bart, from the coast of Kansas USA!

As you can see, I cannot offer advice on R v. K bike, I ride neither one. But ... I do appreciate you comment about one being "more BMW" than the other. I personally think the machine must have the jugs sticking out the sides to be a real BMW. For the same reasons, I guess, i have always been drawn to Moto Guzzi.

Good luck and glad to have you with us.

Among the K75s the K75S would be the most likely to be considered "collectible."

Of all the Oilheads the original 1994 model R1100RS bikes built in 1993 would be the most collectible. Later R1100RS bikes would be too.

Of the Airheads you will not find a consensus other that almost everybody would consider an original R90S to be the most collectible, and priced accordingly. Then the guys/gals with any 1977 R100 think they are, and most who own an R100RS think they are, etc. I prefer the 1978 R100 in Motosport colors.

For collectible I would think the K75S would be better than the K75RT.
I had a R100RT and K75S.
I enjoyed the K75S much more than the R100RT. The R100RT required a lot more tinkering to keep it running good.

This.

K bikes for the win! And skip the RT. Get a 92-95 K75S. Smooth, fun, ABS, great suspension, bullet proof engine. More sport oriented than the R's. The best bike BMW made in that period.

K75

I just had the same problem you have. I purchased a K75c. I really love it. It reminds me of why I got into motorcycles. It is very smooth. Good Luck Steve from Iowa

Welcome from Newfoundland and for me it's all about the R bikes. I have 2 older and newer but not too far in either direction.

Back