• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT - Michelin Road 3 need replacing and no 18 inch Road5s from Michelin ?

The PR3's are still available, and IMHO work great. They are a bit hard to find, and no $$$ deals. Never tried the Pirelli's. Others have recommended Avon's available in that size.
'

I am told that I can't get the Michelin Road 5s for my R1100RT rear tire ie 160 / 60 18 ?
Is the Pirelli Angel GT a good substitute ?

I just went through this same issue. Called Michelin and they swear that the PR3 is still being made in the 160/60-18, but very few distributors are carrying the tire. So, there’s little difference. I bought the Angel GT. I’ve got about 2,000 miles on it and so far I’m pleased with it. It’s a very neutral tire. Doesn’t fall into the turn, but I found the PR3 to run neutral also. I’ve been running the Angel rear with a Michelin PR4 front.

Thanks for the quick feedback/input...
I will give the Pirelli GTs a shot, since they are 'on sale.' Revzilla has a 'gift card' promo/discount and the cyclegear folks said they will match...

The GT2 is out, so I guess GTs will get lower in pricing quickly.
But I didn't see a GT2 in 18 inch... interesting..

A year or two ago I saw a sale on Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO, a dual compound tire. I bought a set in anticipation of my Michelins wearing out. Since then, the T31 came out (probably why the T30 was on sale). I installed them this spring and have a few hundred miles on them. They stick well, feel good, and seem to prefer 4 PSI more than BMW recommendations. I can't tell anything about tire wear yet.

I have no idea about longevity, but they are way better than the RP3's I had.
My guess is the Avons are softer, way better in the rain, and you getting 6,000 miles from a set of tires is for me outstanding.
That would be 10,000 kms., any bike tire should be squared off by then, and if they are not, I don't want them.

How about the Continental Road Attack III, they are available in the 160/60-18, has anyone tried them?

They are wonderful tires. Steer well, grip well and last a long time.

Thanks for the review! I'll be giving them a try soon. Seems my current set of Angel GTs are almost at the wear bars @ 3,400 miles (38/40psi F&R). I seem to recall my last set of Pirellis wore a lot better. Maybe I'm getting more confidence in my RT's handling??

Back