• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Scary Finds

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Have seen some oddball things done to bikes as many here have as well. Just starting the thread to share pics and stories and attempt not to judge. Just bikes as this could go crazy in short time and lose the bike specific theme.

So here we go...

A fella I’ve changed tires on bikes for a few times just picked up a ‘96 Honda Pacific Coast... he said cause it was there and pretty cheap... I laughed and he left it here for me to replace some very aged and worn tires.
The easiest way to drop hidden rear wheel is to hang it over back of lift, or drop the lift out plate, or hang it over a curb... I hung the rear past the lift and raised the table to drop rear tire. Yes, the shop is a total cluster at moment, thank you very much:laugh

1F85E22A-2C36-4ABF-811A-594FBACA3FD3.jpeg

Something looks odd. Where’s the axle nut alongside the drive?

01B46050-9914-4525-85F9-792C210EC468.jpeg

Looking immediately to right side I begin the headshake . The pinch bolt is doing nothing and the axle is floating! Sent pics to owner and he was freaked out. Only rode it twice since picking it up, once was coming here.
He thought the fall off in turns was only tires... thinking maybe it’s been like that since previous tire change!

B7ACE5FE-C4BA-4FFA-A1E5-6544E6827F04.jpeg

Lucky no one was hurt with the backwards axle... just have to wonder HOW?!

Edit: tire code shows a 2000 model

Last edited:
I'm sure you figured out the axle is in backwards and the nut couldn't possibly be installed in that fashion. Just take the axle to an auto parts store and match up with a nut and washer.

I'm sure you figured out the axle is in backwards and the nut couldn't possibly be installed in that fashion. Just take the axle to an auto parts store and match up with a nut and washer.

It was pretty obvious, just more amazed someone could mess that up!

I don't have a picture anymore, but I was hanging out in my shop and glanced at the chain on my old Transalp just to see if it needed cleaning. I noticed a very shiny gold chain link. At first, I thought that was good since it was clean. Then I remember the rest of the chain is silver and the clip on master link I used was gold...and should have had a clip on it. Just dumb luck to see that. I put a new clip on and when I cleaned the chain, I found half the clip in the chain guard by the front sprocket. It broke at the center of the U shape.

It wasn't a super odd thing, but it was one of the stranger and potentially dangerous things I've seen.

Another from a few years back... guy I worked with years prior. Anyways, stops by on a
Wing or HD Ultra Glide... he had both.
Had just rolled out of house and felt bumping , I was nearby and he rode in. He called his wife for a ride home!

Think he told me 18K on rear... my question was how old!!

0215D9EA-1B8A-452B-B151-221DCD763CF2.jpeg

BA022BE9-E822-4F82-91B9-61E10C8ACF07.jpeg

A tube of Shoe Goo would fix that tire :)

Along with spit and polish it'll be good for another 18K...:rofl

That axle situation is very scary and makes you think what some people do with their vehicles and them sharing the roads....:eek

Back