• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anakee Wild Wear Indicator - How to Read

jbtex

We picked up a used G310GS for my wife, which has Anakee Wild tires front and rear. I've been looking for information how to read the wear indicators on those tires, but have come up dry.

Could someone weigh in on where and what to look for on those tires to figure out when to change them?

Thanks!

When I looked at a picture of a rear Anakee Wild I can see a Tire Wear Indicator in the center of the tire.
If you find TWI on the sidewall look opposite of that.

When I looked at a picture of a rear Anakee Wild I can see a Tire Wear Indicator in the center of the tire.
If you find TWI on the sidewall look opposite of that.

Thanks, Lee.

I couldn't find the TWI lettering on the sidewall, but looking at the center there seems to be a line with two triangles on each knob. I take it those are the wear indicators (see the picture). I see the middle knob worn down to the line. Not having any experience with that specific tire, that could mean a lot of things. "Change tire soon", "Change tire now", "You got plenty of wear left before you hit the bottom of the two triangles..." :)

We are not doing heavy-duty off-roading, mostly riding on unpaved county roads in our area. However, I still want to ensure that safety is not compromised, so I rather change the tires than trying to squeeze more miles out of them.

In fact, I think we're going to put the Anakee Adventure tires on next. So, it's down to making the decision when to do so.

TireWearRear.jpeg

This may not help at all, but Michelin usually puts a little "Michelin Man" in a circle on both sidewalls which shows the general indication of the wear indicator. That said, this may not be the case with an off-road tire like the Anakee Wild.

I don't see the TWI in your picture. Hopefully someone with experience with this tire will jump in.
I'm going to guess the handling on a tire like this will get pretty strange way before you're down to the Tire Wear Indicator.

I don't see the TWI in your picture. Hopefully someone with experience with this tire will jump in.
I'm going to guess the handling on a tire like this will get pretty strange way before you're down to the Tire Wear Indicator.

Have installed a few sets for folks but never looked at indicators position. Went to see if I had a takeoff, but nope.

Yeah, those don’t look bad... def seen worse still rolling. Of course knowing where to gauge limits always good. :laugh Lee’s right on handling enjoyment too

On knobby tires it is fairly simple to determine how much rubber is left by measuring the depth between lugs. In the Wild’s case I would measure the depth between two lugs in the center of the tire. I believe, but am not certain, the the wear indicator on most tires indicates 2/32nds of inch. On a knobby tire it’s useful life probably ends well before 2/32s.

I used to live on a dirt bike. Tires got replace long before they were worn out, because of traction issues. A tire might get to half tread before it got pitched and replaced.

Back