• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clearwater lights flash when plugging in battery charger

mathiasneuber

I just installed some Clearwater Krista lights onto my 2006 R1200 GS. The issue that I have is that when I plug the bike into my BMW Battery Charger (part number 71 60 7 688 865) the Krista lights flash, like a photo flash. It then happens again as the battery charger cycles back to the red light starting mode. Does anyone know if this should be happening and if it continues to happen, is there any long term damage issue to the bike, the lights and/or the charger? I live in New England and have the charger plugged in for extended periods of time during the winter. I spoke with Clearwater and they said its fine, but I would like some non-biased reassurance. Thanks.

My 2008 1200 GSA taillight would do that same thing. Some times working in the barn I would see the quick flash, and I would worry for a minute. Would go over and look at charger, and it would be back to the red light. Traded it in on a 2017 1200 GSA. Never had a problem with it during that 9 years.

I had a set of Clearwater lights on our past 2008 K1200GT.

Whenever the bike's computer/CANBUS did a recycle or reset, the Clearwater lights would flash, most notably when the ignition was first turned on.

After some plugging and unplugging I believe it was the computer/CANBUS sending out a signal to all the attachments - like the lights - to see if they are there and not burned out.

That test signal/current was enough to trigger the relays on the Clearwater lights I had.

Good product, though now way expensive.

i have Clearwaters on my bike from Day 1 and they have never acted like that. If the bike otherwise performs as intended, i would choose to not worry about it and ride on.

I have clearwater lights on both BMWs and when the ignition is turned on, the lights on both flash. They are tied to a relay that gets power when the ignition comes on. Normal behavior on mine. However, my battery tender is direct to the battery so it doesn't trigger that action. I'm assuming your BMW charger goes into the powerlet port and that would trigger the canbus and the lights would flash.

I have Cyclops on my 07 R1200 GS and they flash intermittently when plugged into my charger. Hasn't been a problem.

Thank you all for the reassurances. The flashing of the lights seems to be normal and no issue of concern.

By the way the lights do work great and give an incredible amount of extra light when needed.

Back