• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help with Backfiring

RTandGS

Need some input on my "new" 2001 r1100rt.

Just picked a 35,000 mile bike that's been sitting in a garage for 8 years in a garage and looks quite good. Drained the old gas, put in fresh with some added Seafoam and then ran the old gas out of the tank lines by keying on and off, and the flow was strong and some darker fuel came out but did this until it flowed cwith new clear fuel. Then did the same through the lines that go to the injectors.

Changed the spark plugs to Autolites.

It fires, but it struggles to idle, it will rev but not easily and with a delay, and then inevitably pops itself dead. I push the starter, same thing, fires, idles rough, backfires (pops) and dies.

I am assuming dirty injectors? Am I overlooking something else?
Thanks!

Need some input on my "new" 2001 r1100rt.

Just picked a 35,000 mile bike that's been sitting in a garage for 8 years in a garage and looks quite good. Drained the old gas, put in fresh with some added Seafoam and then ran the old gas out of the tank lines by keying on and off, and the flow was strong and some darker fuel came out but did this until it flowed cwith new clear fuel. Then did the same through the lines that go to the injectors.

Changed the spark plugs to Autolites.

It fires, but it struggles to idle, it will rev but not easily and with a delay, and then inevitably pops itself dead. I push the starter, same thing, fires, idles rough, backfires (pops) and dies.

I am assuming dirty injectors? Am I overlooking something else?
Thanks!

I agree dirty injectors.

Sitting for 8 years!! I'm amazed that you were able to get any fuel through the injectors at all.

Seriously, pull the fuel injectors. There are plenty of DIY videos on cleaning injectors at home. I would send them to a professional injector cleaning service. They will change screens, and o-rings. They will measure flow rate before and after cleaning and provide a report. You should get back injectors that flow gas very equally with good spray pattern. If you're lucky enough to have a service nearby, just bring them in. I sent mine out to Injector Rx many years ago. Well worth it. Should cost you about $50 with shipping.

The 1100 RT will give you a soft pop if you chop the throttle and have engine braking. This is pretty normal. You can avoid a lot of that if you just keep the throttle slightly open instead of fully shut.

Thank you!
I'm pulling them and shipping them out today to a fella in Ohio, he says with any luck I'll have them back for the weekend.
I will update after they return.

Not injector issue...

Injectors are back and installed and it runs about the same. So... I made a video of what it’s doing g hoping it’ll help the oil head gurus diagnose. Might you watch and listen and tell me what you think it is? I’d appreciate it.

https://youtu.be/VCR1hYuGuHA

Confirm you have the adequate fuel pressure.
The U fuel hose in the tank is notorious for splitting at this age.
Disconnect the return line (upper one coming from the spider) and direct into a suitable conntainer.
Start and keep the bike running for 1 minute - you should have 2 litres of fuel.

Along with quite possible fuel issues, considering it was sitting for so many years - Have you confirmed that the exhaust and air intake (filter & snorkels) are not plugged?
And that the valve settings are good? And is the battery fresh?
If and when you get inside the gas tank, there's a filter on the intake of the fuel pump; old gas may have plugged that.

Thanks!

So, to be clear, the two rubber lines going from the tank to the two plastic lines on the bike; the lower line from the tank is the outgoing pressurized fuel into the bike and the upper line is a return from the bike, so I should be sure there is at least 3 liters of fuel, and get the bike to start and keep it alive for 1 minute. if I don't have 2 liters of fuel at the end of that, I am now opening the tank and replacing the internal fuel lines.

The fuel pump does come on obviously, but, are fuel pumps a work or don't work kind of thing? Or might they pump but simnply not strong enough to keep the bike running well.
Thanks!

Markus
2000 Rt
2001 Rt red
2002 GS

spider

I had a thought... the fuel distributor...Is there a way to claen that while it sits on the bike by sending cleaner through the lower pipe and having it cycle out the top pipe? does that work?
Thanks!

After reading your complaint a few times, I am trying to think of the circumstances that I have found after 40 years and a few things come to mind. In order of experiences:

Timing(bad Hall Effect Sensor, pulley broke, was never timed correctly)
Secondary ignition(plug wires and rarely, ignition coil)
Burnt valves
Way too lean(leaves you on the right track with injectors, fuel delivery)

Solved!

Once again this forum and it’s generous contributors saved me from taking my bike to a shop! I replaced all the fuel parts in the tank. The U hose was absolutely weepy and soft. So all the hoses and filter and pump were replaced and sure enough, she fired up and runs great. Fuel pressure. You called it.

Thank you all.

Back