Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EWS emergency key issue

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Ask your dealer to order you a plain metal key, they can do that with just the VIN. I did it when I had my keyless RT and it was the first thing I did when I got my keyless GSA. It has no chip so it won't start the bike like the plastic key, but you'll be able to apply way more torque than with the flip-out key on the fob. You'll be able to lock/unlock the seats and remove the panniers without worrying about breaking it.
    Yes, I already have that key as I didnít want to risk either the fob or the plastic key in the seat lock or Nav lock. So itís a fob and two keys just to make sure that bike and luggage can be operable if any one of the three is lost in East Timbuktu. If we could find a locksmith or vendor who sells the 4 key blanks I mentioned earlier the spare key for seat and luggage locks would be a much easier undertaking. Dealers usually require an in-person visit with proof of ownership in hand before ordering any key-related materials.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    That was a problem with the Hexheads I sort-of recall. There was a ring antenna around or near the place where the key was inserted. I think there was an actual NHTSA recall on the issue.
    I have carried a spare antenna ring since 06 and it kept us from needing it on several models with that setup... K bikes as well.

The location on the seat is crazy for the chip key
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Yes, I already have that key as I didnít want to risk either the fob or the plastic key in the seat lock or Nav lock. So itís a fob and two keys just to make sure that bike and luggage can be operable if any one of the three is lost in East Timbuktu. If we could find a locksmith or vendor who sells the 4 key blanks I mentioned earlier the spare key for seat and luggage locks would be a much easier undertaking. Dealers usually require an in-person visit with proof of ownership in hand before ordering any key-related materials.

Best,
    DeVern
    At grave risk of sounding like a broken record I will once again repeat, "Ain't technology wonderful?"

These answers to questions nobody should have asked are becoming bewildering.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    At grave risk of sounding like a broken record I will once again repeat, "Ain't technology wonderful?"

These answers to questions nobody should have asked are becoming bewildering.
    Itís what yaíll got for complaining about steering head locks
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

You are so right Paul! The IT World.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It’s what ya’ll got for complaining about steering head locks
    OM
    You got me there. I confess! But I only complain when somebody uses said lock and it doesn't work for them. We, on the other hand insure our bikes, don't park in sketchy neighborhoods, and have never deliberately locked a motorcycle in two million miles of riding all over North America, and several foreign countries. I admit I have complained after accidentally locking a fork lock that was crusty from non-use for 25 or so years.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Itís what yaíll got for complaining about steering head locks
    OM
    Yeah, now we get steering head locks that lock electronically and...require a working fob or chipped emergency key. Tell me again where this was forward motion?

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Yeah, now we get steering head locks that lock electronically and...require a working fob or chipped emergency key. Tell me again where this was forward motion?

Best,
    DeVern
    my tw200 has a kick starter

All this will continue to be as long as motorcycles are expected to emulate cars/trucks.

Look at Peter Fonda on the Captain America bike. Pretty much my reference for pure motorcycling.

Of course, itís just the way I see it.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I checked my bike after reading this thread. I dug out my plastic key for my 2015 R1200GS and got the bike to light up on the first try. However, I did have to take the right Vario case off in order to be able to reach the "G spot" with the plastic key in my left hand, and the "on" button with my right hand.

By the way, I changed out my key fob battery a month ago after being prompted by the "lokey" message on the bike's dash.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

An earlier thread about the emergency key got me to try mine, it worked, but I had to read the instructions. If it had failed on a trip I probably would have been in trouble.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    An earlier thread about the emergency key got me to try mine, it worked, but I had to read the instructions. If it had failed on a trip I probably would have been in trouble.
    You may want to go here and download to your phone a PDF of the ownerís manual for your bike. Itís handy for looking up emergency procedures or checking procedures and torque values for OTR services like removing and reinstalling a wheel, etc.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber

You may want to go here and download to your phone a PDF of the ownerís manual for your bike. Itís handy for looking up emergency procedures or checking procedures and torque values for OTR services like removing and reinstalling a wheel, etc.

Best,
    DeVern
    Thanks for sharing, pretty cool to have.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    On the RS using the plastic key is easier, you just poke it between the seats. You do have to make sure the fat part of the key is inserted first.
    Lee, knowing you as I do I had to read that one a few times to realize you were serious.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    Lee, knowing you as I do I had to read that one a few times to realize you were serious.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT