Thread: Troubles with my 04 R1150RT

Troubles with my 04 R1150RT

Hello, Looking for some words of wisdom on the problem I had today. Yesterday we rode 270 miles without a hitch, today after about 60 miles my R1150 RT had what I'd call a total electrical failure, in traffic. After getting a ride home, we tested the battery (13V), check the kill switch and looked over the fuses (all appear good). Having read about faulty wires under tiedown points (the chassis has about 100K miles) I wiggled all the wires I could and turned the bars both directions to the stops. Still no indicator lights. Any ideas on fixing this one??

Follow the ignition switch harness to the orange connector - left of the speedo cluster
    Is there 12v+ on the red wire?
    Next
    Is there 12v+ on the green wire when the ignition is turned on?
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Elec.

Quote Originally Posted by trapboy View Post
    Hello, Looking for some words of wisdom on the problem I had today. Yesterday we rode 270 miles without a hitch, today after about 60 miles my R1150 RT had what I'd call a total electrical failure, in traffic. After getting a ride home, we tested the battery (13V), check the kill switch and looked over the fuses (all appear good). Having read about faulty wires under tie-down points (the chassis has about 100K miles) I wiggled all the wires I could and turned the bars both directions to the stops. Still no indicator lights. Any ideas on fixing this one??
    I'm betting that your ignition switch harness is failing. BMW tied the harness way too tight (wire ties) at the factory so that when moving the handlebars, the harness flexes and weakens right where it plugs into the switch.

It happened to me about 10 years ago and I had to repair the frayed hot wire (only a few strands were left) and then tied it off very, very loosely. The goal is to not have the connection right at the ignition switch flexing/twisting every time the handlebar is moved off center.

RPG