• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lower fairing vent upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the 81 RT already had large vents in the lower center part of the fairing?

I was talking to someone yesterday who has had a few old RT’s over the years, and he was saying I need to install a vent of some kind in my lower fairing to save the charging system from being “cooked”. He said he took the piece off and drilled six one inch holes in it with a hole saw. Has anyone installed a vent upgrade of this nature ? Or any other ideas ?
1981 R100RT

This picture shows the large vented area in the lower fairing. Where do you plan to drill holes?

df868e474f6d36ec79b6085c1d677d85.jpg

Mine does not have the large louvered it has small vents to the side but none in the center.( I am not able to upload pics for some reason)

My 84 had the small vents on each side of the center panel.

March 1986_0037.jpg

...Try reducing the size...20774

Well it's tough. After my most recent failure to post pics, I had my tech do a house call and he set up a function whereby I can right click on the mouse, with the cursor on the picture, and a sizing window will drop down. Then I duplicate the picture to "large" (I think) and then paste it into the site. He created a check list for me for image transers from Smug Mug to here, and I figured out my own checklist for computer to here.

But recently it quit working again. :banghead It's been part of my lifelong struggle with image management....:(

Back to the topic: I did find a picture in Bill Stermer's book of an early RS with an almost solid front fairing panel, with short louvers on each lower side. Maybe the RT had these too.

It would be interesting to do an oil temperature comparison between bikes having the earlier and later centre panels. I suspect there wouldn't be much difference, as most of the cooling would occur at the cooler and the outer cylinder heads.

And most of the high heating would occur when the bike is idling at a stop, when air flow isn't a factor anyway.

But it was no doubt an easy modification for BMW, so worth doing.

Thanks Kurt; I'll have look at that. I wish Smug Mug would just leave their site alone.

Being retired now, I have lots of time. :)

Back to the topic: I did find a picture in Bill Stermer's book of an early RS with an almost solid front fairing panel, with short louvers on each lower side. Maybe the RT had these too.

You can see the short louvers in post # 10.

There were at least two variations of the center lower panel on both the RS and RT airheads. One was “fully-louvered”, and the second was mostly solid, with openings only for the oil cooler near the top, and two very small sets of louvers near where the bean can resides behind the front engine cover. There may have also been two variations of the fully-louvered lower fairing panel for bikes that, at first, had no oil coolers, and a later version which did have an opening for the oil coolers. I remember that there was a concern that the near-solid center panel did not provide enough cooling airflow to keep the electrical components behind the front cover happy. No personal knowledge about whether that concern was valid. Rather than hacking up a solid lower center panel, there are lots of louvered ones available from the usual parts sources. New ones may still be available from BMW.

Well, the purpose of the thread seems to have gone away. I'm going to close the thread but can reopen down the road if the OP wants to revisit things.

Later!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back