• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Champion Helmets

pbryant018

I just bought my third Schuberth helmet from 'Champion Helmets' in the past four years. The prices seem to good to be true. Everything seems okay, the only issue I have ever had was delivery 4 years ago on a limited edition helmet that I would have never gotten through US channels any earlier. The first two helmets have been great, but admittedly, untested. I just want to make sure I am not buying some BS knockoff Schuberth helmet built in bumf@%ck, but the real thing. Has anyone else used this company? My issue/question is am I purchasing knock off gear?

I just bought my third Schuberth helmet from 'Champion Helmets' in the past four years. The prices seem to good to be true. Everything seems okay, the only issue I have ever had was delivery 4 years ago on a limited edition helmet that I would have never gotten through US channels any earlier. The first two helmets have been great, but admittedly, untested. I just want to make sure I am not buying some BS knockoff Schuberth helmet built in bumf@%ck, but the real thing. Has anyone else used this company? My issue/question is am I purchasing knock off gear?

1) Join a European MC forum and ask your question.

2) What certification stickers are on your helmet?

From the NHTSA webste

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DOT Sticker
Helmets that meet FMVSS 218 must have a sticker on the outside back of the helmet with the letters “DOT,” which certifies that the helmet meets or exceeds FMVSS 218. It is important to note that some novelty helmet sellers provide DOT stickers separately for motorcyclists to place on non-complying helmets. In this case, the DOT sticker is invalid and does not certify compliance.

Snell or ANSI Label
In addition to the DOT sticker, labels located inside the helmet showing that a helmet meets the standards of private, non-profit organizations such as Snell or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) are good indicators that the helmet also meets the Federal safety standard. To date, we have never seen a novelty helmet that has a phony DOT sticker in addition to a phony Snell or ANSI label.

Manufacturer’s Labeling
Manufacturers are required under FMVSS 218 to place a label on or inside the helmet stating the manufacturer’s name, model, size, month and year of manufacture, construction materials, and owner’s information. A helmet that does not meet the Federal safety standard usually does not have such labeling.

Remember a DOT sticker on the back of the helmet and proper inside labeling do not necessarily indicate that a helmet meets all DOT requirements. Many helmets have counterfeit DOT stickers and a limited few also have manufacturer’s labeling. But the design and weight of a helmet, thickness of the inner liner, and the quality of the chin strap and rivets are extra clues to help distinguish safe helmets from non-complying ones.
Unsafe Helmet Interior

>>>>>>>>>>

You could always contact Schuberth with description/pictures of it all - I'd assume they'd tell you if it was real or a fake... you may ask them if Champion is a licensed distributor

If you buy a helmet from a European distributor like Champion or Chromeburner it will not be DOT certified. Theoretically this helmet is not legal in US. That being said you will never be stopped and asked. It’s as safe than any DOT rated helmet. Should have an EC certification which is far superior to DOT. You will get a lighter helmet because helmet manufacturers have to typically add some mass to meet DOT requirements.
Champion has a great reputation, let us know how it works out.
You can get some helmets here that will never be available in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only issue buying from overseas is warranty claims; they have to be shippped back to The Netherlands. That can get costly as the consumer would need to pay the shipping charges-both ways.

I purchased a C4 from Champion Helmets. No issues to speak of. I wanted the Resonance Red color in size 59 and it took almost a month and a half for me to get that. It "was not in stock, waiting on more inventory from manufacturer." The color was the primary reason to buy that C4, but I also wanted the SC1 intercom set-up. Built in, no mods needed. I do not recall the exact price, but it was a decent deal, with free shipping. I could have purchased similar Schuberth helmet from US didstibutors, but the size/color combo was not available in the states either. Price would have been comparable. As to why I bought from Champion, I cannot explain. A few months after I got my helmet, the US prices started dopping. Oh, well. No regerts.

A far as DOT approval, I am not concerned about that. Too many folks out riding using helmets that resemble hats. To each their own. I feel the protection from an ECE helmet will suffice for me.

Cheers,

Back