• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Odd license request in used bike transaction....

Send the plate back, it's not your plate. Different states handle things differently but I'm just not sure why you would think he was being nefarious in the first place. You don't live in Va, the plate belongs to the original owner who tagged it in Va. He was really nice to let you use it to get the bike home. Send it back

Send the plate back, it's not your plate. Different states handle things differently but I'm just not sure why you would think he was being nefarious in the first place. You don't live in Va, the plate belongs to the original owner who tagged it in Va. He was really nice to let you use it to get the bike home. Send it back

That's the rub right there....different states handle things differently. In California ( where I've spent the last 40 some years), for example, plates stay with the bike; driving without plates results in an impounded vehicle...so that was the basis for my concern. Btw, I _do _ now live in Va; the bike has West Va plates...

My practise, after a sale, in addition to pulling the plate, is to de-register the vehicle out of my name. This is a service our provincial registry provides for a small fee. I don't want any legal connection to that vehicle after it leaves my garage.

Last edited:
My practise, after a sale, in addition to pulling the plate, is to de-register the vehicle out of my name. This is a service our provincial registry provides for a small fee. I don't want any legal connection to that vehicle after it leaves my garage.

There you go :thumb
Bike gone, monies received, Ties to bike/property severed.
OM

I noticed on the Va DMV landing page that there's a place for the seller to do that...haven't looked at the WVa DMV page to see if they do the same thing.

On a happy note, looking at Virginia's list of 'drive up' sites that an appt for Monday 6 July was available! So now that's mine...and only 1 1/2 hour drive to get there! But so worth it....

I noticed on the Va DMV landing page that there's a place for the seller to do that...haven't looked at the WVa DMV page to see if they do the same thing.

On a happy note, looking at Virginia's list of 'drive up' sites that an appt for Monday 6 July was available! So now that's mine...and only 1 1/2 hour drive to get there! But so worth it....

I’ve had very good luck using DMV drive-up services in the past. Not sure how it’s being done now with covid, but during normal times in my experience they provide much quicker service to drive-up customers than walk-ins. So even with the extra driving distance, it may not cost you a whole lot of time!

Make a photocopy of the bill of sale, put it in a plastic baggie and screw it to the

Plate. Have proof of insurance. No cop will give you a ticket because he knows it won't stick. He may however pull you over just to screw with you and check for insurance. Trust me, its insurance that they care about... but in some states insurance on a motorcycle is not required.. ( MT for example)... Most are otherwise..

The seller could call his insurance agent and have his policy canceled on the date and time the vehicle was sold. This way he is no longer liable, right?

Then it is the buyer's responsibility to have insurance.

Works with my AmFam agent.

/Guenther

The seller could call his insurance agent and have his policy canceled on the date and time the vehicle was sold. This way he is no longer liable, right?

I don't think this is correct. I think this simply means you are uninsured but if considered the owner, still might be liable.

A few years ago 25% of the cars in Texas were uninsured because people would get insurance, register the car, and when the next month's premium came due cancel the insurance. The state had no requirement that it be advised when insurance was cancelled. It does now.

According to my insurance agent the sales contract shows that I am no longer the owner. And I make sure I have date and time in the sales contract and the personal information of the buyer from his driver's license.

If there is an issue with the vehicle then I have proof that the ownership has been transferred to the buyer.

The DMV just does the recording for the transfer of ownership. And this process could take weeks or months like right now.

Heh, I am not a lawyer! :dunno

/Guenther

If it makes a difference, when I bought my Harley I got it from an out of state dealer. They sent the paperwork to my state's DOT for licensing. It took just about three months for the plate to show up, my state was running way behind for some reason. I even called and asked and they told me to not worry about it, the plate will show up sooner or later! I put on quite a few miles, in three different states with no plate, nothing visible on the motorcycle for the police to know it was a new motorcycle. I carried the bill of sale and insurance paperwork just in case, but nobody cared.

In FL seller keeps the tag, and can use it for a new vehicle and save some $. Seller is supposed to report the sale . My local DMV is doing everything by mail since Covid.

I did a little research - Google is always my friend:

The new owner can then apply for title, the original owner's plates cannot be used by the new owner.
They must either have a valid plate in their name to transfer or purchase a new plate.

Division of Motor Vehicles - WV.govtransportation.wv.gov › dmv › vehicle-services › titles

W VA is just like South Dakota, the plate remains with the owner, not the motorcycle/vehicle.

In Arkansas you do NOT send the tag with a sold vehicle. New owner would get a hefty fine for unregistered tags etc. The buyer has 20-30 days to register, pay sales tax if applicable, and tags. Dated bill of sale carried with bike is sufficient. The bigger factor is you better have proof of insurance or your vehicle will be impounded posthaste.

I bought a car in Maryland and drove it home to Texas. Stopped in Georgia. I had my insurance papers from my other car but not this one. I told him that I was covered because I had just bought it and I had a limited period of time to get my Texas inspection and tags which I couldn't do without proof of insurance. If I just bought the car the insurance would cover it with the expectation of me adding it to my policy and getting it inspected and registered.
Next thing I know, the supervisor shows up. He hears my story and concurs.

Back