Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Odd license request in used bike transaction....

I will add to my earlier comment that in Texas it is possible to get a Temporary Tag to allow ferrying the vehicle home. That said I bought a camper van in Florida and was driving it home without plates. I was stopped by a very friendly officer in Biloxi, Mississippi. When I showed him the signed title he was happy. But he needed to see proof of insurance. By text we got that from our agent in a couple of minutes. He was happy and so was I.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Nor in VA.

Webguydave: Iím a longtime resident of VA. I have bought and sold a fair number of used vehicles over the years, including motorcycles and mopeds. In no case did I give or receive a license plate with the sale or purchase. In VA, the plate is removed from the vehicle when sold, it doesnít go with it.
    The new owner brings his/her own plates when picking it up, or trailers it home.

Generally itís not lawful to operate a vehicle on a prior ownerís plates. You must license/register in your name before operating it.

If the seller in WV generously took the risk of letting you ride home on his plates, as soon as you pulled in your driveway they should have been removed and mailed back to him so he could dispense with them per his stateís requirements.

I would get the plates back to him asap. Yes, that leaves you in a bind due to the corona virus delays at dmv, but that is not the sellers fault. Itís just one of the many inconveniences we face in the current environment.
    And there ya have it....(:<))

Yep, he was nice enough to provide the plate for the trip home...and given what I've seen in response, I'll ship the plate back to him and take my chances for the short trips out in the 'sticks' here....btw, I did get insurance the moment I got it back here. My car/truck insurance covers these this but only for the shortest of time...

Thanks!

Dave
    Dave Johnson
    Esmont. VA.
    2004 BMW R1150RT-P

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    On the few bikes I have sold, I always remove the plate. My thoughts is it will incentivize the purchaser to follow through on title transfer. Have done that with other plated items such as trailers and vehicles. Nothing nefarious in my reasoning, just peace of mind.

Just went to pick up a bike in NC, the seller said he had to turn in another states plate at sale of another bike. He took the NC tag, reinstalled a plate he used while stationed in Japan. I had signed title, sales receipt and insurance for return to TX. Never stopped with huge yellow plate in six states and will ride it to our recently opened tax office Friday to register it.

I would take the route suggested, he let you ride away with it...you'll return it as soon as practical due to different situations these days.
    I live in NC and until you turn the plate into the DMV you pay a personal property tax on the vehicle. A bill of sale & the title plus proof of insurance is all you need to get home when you purchase a vehicle.
    Dave Selvig
    2008 Black LT
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

The problem is that if the bike is involved in an accident, and it has the seller's plate on it, the lawyer for any injured party could include the seller in the lawsuit, as the registered owner, and then the seller has the expense and hassle of getting himself removed from the suit. Litigation lawyers have a saying that it's easier to remove a party from an action, than to add one, so they usually sue everyone in sight, out of an abundance of caution. They don't want to miss a limitation period.

I once sold a bike to an out of province buyer who showed up with no insurance, so he couldn't get a transit permit to ride it home. We spent most of an afternoon getting proof of insurance faxed to my home, so he could get the permit. There was no way that bike was leaving here with my plate on it.
    Last edited by Rinty; 06-25-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    Rinty

North Dakota the plate belongs to the seller with firm instructions to remove it when the vehicle is sold. Drive with the title and bill of sale.

I sold a vehicle and had the cash in hand then went to get a screwdriver to pull the plates. The buyer just a out had a fit. I told him state law and he said he wasn't going to buy it then so I
    handed his money back. It was funny as he just stood there and didn't take the money, mumbling something about needed the vehicle. I took the plates, he drove it away.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Send the plate back, it's not your plate. Different states handle things differently but I'm just not sure why you would think he was being nefarious in the first place. You don't live in Va, the plate belongs to the original owner who tagged it in Va. He was really nice to let you use it to get the bike home. Send it back
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    Send the plate back, it's not your plate. Different states handle things differently but I'm just not sure why you would think he was being nefarious in the first place. You don't live in Va, the plate belongs to the original owner who tagged it in Va. He was really nice to let you use it to get the bike home. Send it back
    That's the rub right there....different states handle things differently. In California ( where I've spent the last 40 some years), for example, plates stay with the bike; driving without plates results in an impounded vehicle...so that was the basis for my concern. Btw, I _do _ now live in Va; the bike has West Va plates...
    Dave Johnson
    Esmont. VA.
    2004 BMW R1150RT-P

My practise, after a sale, in addition to pulling the plate, is to de-register the vehicle out of my name. This is a service our provincial registry provides for a small fee. I don't want any legal connection to that vehicle after it leaves my garage.
    Last edited by Rinty; 06-25-2020 at 03:17 PM.
    Rinty

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    My practise, after a sale, in addition to pulling the plate, is to de-register the vehicle out of my name. This is a service our provincial registry provides for a small fee. I don't want any legal connection to that vehicle after it leaves my garage.
    There you go
    Bike gone, monies received, Ties to bike/property severed.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I noticed on the Va DMV landing page that there's a place for the seller to do that...haven't looked at the WVa DMV page to see if they do the same thing.

On a happy note, looking at Virginia's list of 'drive up' sites that an appt for Monday 6 July was available! So now that's mine...and only 1 1/2 hour drive to get there! But so worth it....
    Dave Johnson
    Esmont. VA.
    2004 BMW R1150RT-P

Quote Originally Posted by webguydave View Post
    I noticed on the Va DMV landing page that there's a place for the seller to do that...haven't looked at the WVa DMV page to see if they do the same thing.

On a happy note, looking at Virginia's list of 'drive up' sites that an appt for Monday 6 July was available! So now that's mine...and only 1 1/2 hour drive to get there! But so worth it....
    Iíve had very good luck using DMV drive-up services in the past. Not sure how itís being done now with covid, but during normal times in my experience they provide much quicker service to drive-up customers than walk-ins. So even with the extra driving distance, it may not cost you a whole lot of time!

Make a photocopy of the bill of sale, put it in a plastic baggie and screw it to the

Plate. Have proof of insurance. No cop will give you a ticket because he knows it won't stick. He may however pull you over just to screw with you and check for insurance. Trust me, its insurance that they care about... but in some states insurance on a motorcycle is not required.. ( MT for example)... Most are otherwise..

The seller could call his insurance agent and have his policy canceled on the date and time the vehicle was sold. This way he is no longer liable, right?

Then it is the buyer's responsibility to have insurance.

Works with my AmFam agent.

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish she had a drive shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    The seller could call his insurance agent and have his policy canceled on the date and time the vehicle was sold. This way he is no longer liable, right?
    I don't think this is correct. I think this simply means you are uninsured but if considered the owner, still might be liable.

A few years ago 25% of the cars in Texas were uninsured because people would get insurance, register the car, and when the next month's premium came due cancel the insurance. The state had no requirement that it be advised when insurance was cancelled. It does now.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

According to my insurance agent the sales contract shows that I am no longer the owner. And I make sure I have date and time in the sales contract and the personal information of the buyer from his driver's license.

If there is an issue with the vehicle then I have proof that the ownership has been transferred to the buyer.

The DMV just does the recording for the transfer of ownership. And this process could take weeks or months like right now.

Heh, I am not a lawyer!

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish she had a drive shaft