• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Engine oil site glass question

You guys answered my question!
So If the site glass blows out, I'd get the bike on the center stand, pour oil into it until it starts to come out the site glass hole. Put in a plug, add 1/2 qt of oil and continue onward, like a herd of turtles!
Thank you! I can relax now and enjoy the evening.
Nick

So If the site glass blows out, I'd get the bike on the center stand, pour oil into it until it starts to come out the site glass hole. Put in a plug, add 1/2 qt of oil and continue onward, like a herd of turtles!
Nick

That's a plan. You won't need it but it is a good plan.

That's if you are fortunate enough to have kept the bike upright after drenching your rear tire with hot oil. A friend of mine nearly went down on his R1150GS when his sight glass blew out, so it's not a far fetched notion.

Ted

Nick

You won't even need to add the 1/2 quart. The engine won't care if it is 1/2 a quart low.

Is this site glass falling out a big deal? Seems like a bunch-to-do about nothing.

You won't even need to add the 1/2 quart. The engine won't care if it is 1/2 a quart low.

Is this site glass falling out a big deal? Seems like a bunch-to-do about nothing.

It can be a big deal on the Oilheads. Not on the Classic K bikes. Later model twins, maybe starting with the 1200s added a circlip. Not sure of the model/year for that.

Back